Sierra vs Gatsby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Troy Cole

I have turned Sierra pens for several years. I was thinking about trying the Gatsby kit and just wondering if turners feel like this kit is as good of quality as the Sierra. Thx for any comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I think the Gatsby is better because the tube is finished at each end with hardware. On a sierra when you pull apart the pen there is a raw edge.

Just be aware that while they use the same bushings they don't use the same tube length.

Its not much but if you over mill or sand the end with an already short tube it maybe an issue.

Gatsby 2.25
Sierra 2.21

Last edited:

chartle

one other thing there is a Gatsby grande that's thicker and leaves more meat of the blank. I may use one for a particular casting that has thicker stuff embedded in it.

Talltim

I prefer the body twist mechanism of the sierra over the finial twist of the gatsby. That is totally personal preference though.

acc78

Even though they are similar in looks, i like both, leaning a little more towards the gatsby myself, but in my opinion the assembly of a sierra is easier and smoother. Has anyone tried the sierra transmission on a gatsby before?

only way to really know if you like a gatsy is try one for yourself!

chartle

Even though they are similar in looks, i like both, leaning a little more towards the gatsby myself, but in my opinion the assembly of a sierra is easier and smoother. Has anyone tried the sierra transmission on a gatsby before?

only way to really know if you like a gatsby is try one for yourself!

I don't think they the same at all. I'll have to see I have one of each on my desk at home.

Top Bottom