Sierra Vista and WallStreet III (& snakeskin blanks) ??s

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NotURMailman

So, I ordered some Sierra Vista kits, and somehow I forgot to order the bushings.

Maybe I thought some of the bushings I had would work. I don't remember, but if that's what I thought I was wrong.

So I searched here on IAP, read some threads, and downloaded the bushing and tube info sheet.

Then I got my wife to pick up some WallStreet III bushings from WoodCrafter's.

All of the information I have found says I should have a .551 top end bushing and a .523 nib end bushing.

Both of these bushings measure .537... What gives? Did WoodCrafter's change something? Did they put these bushings in the wrong baggie or put the wrong label on the baggie?

I measured the bushings with two different sets of digital calipers, and then with a vernier micrometer just to make sure I wan't losing my mind.

Grr... I have three snakeskin blanks I would really like to try out. I guess I'll have to turn the blanks big to these bushings, then mount them with some home made wooden bushings and finish out. Or I suppose I could just use a smaller diameter between centers bushing set that I have (If I can find one with the same tube size.)

I guess I just waste money on some bushings that are for I don't know what. I suppose I could just mark then with the size and put them in my parts bin. I'm sure they can be used for something eventually.

BTW- Any particular tips on turning the PR snakeskin blanks? The only materials I have turned have been wood, acrylic, and Corian.

How's that for rambling? I've been 90MPH all day and don't know why...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

The Sierra Vista diameter is .519/.520 depending on temp and caliper. When turning any resin enclosed material use a VERY sharp tool and take off a thousandth of material at a time. Leave the excess resin extend over the edge of the tube and trim it off when done just in case your ends are a little thin. Only the nib has the exact tolerance so the other end can be a bit thick or thin and it will not be noticed. Go easy on the sanding and use wet sanding with micro mesh for high gloss. Snake skin, circuit boards and feathers can be done this way. I turned a circuit board this morning and a snake skin last week.

NotURMailman

Thank you!

Any particular method you would or would not recomend for trimming the ends after turning? I have a HSS pen mill, a carbide pen mill, and a belt/disc sander (but have not built a jig for it yet).

NotURMailman

Answered my own question. Tried the carbide mill, turning it by hand. Broke a big chunk out of the blank. Did the second on with the disc sander. Turned out pretty good. Pictures in SOYP.

plantman

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Two things you could try. Turn between centers, you don't need bushings !! Make yourself a set of tapered bushings. One size fits all. Two things to remember. Never trust bushing, fitings, or tube sizes. Always measure and turn to the size you have. Hint; do not overheat your resin blanks while turning or sanding, it may ruin your snakeskin. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom