Sierra Vista finished size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
What is the finished size of a Sierra Vista pen? Have an order for a black and gold matrix tru-stone blank in a specific size. Hoping the Sierra Vista gets me there.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Tube/Blank length = 2.2". Bushings (OD) .52" This is from the one on my bench that I finished 1 hr ago! :)

Need to verify with the library - be back in a minute.

http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/berea_bush_tube.pdf

Looks like 2.21" and .551" (I should trust my calipers more!)

Last edited:

thewishman

Sierras are so forgiving in length. You can shorten the tube by quite a lot. You can also make it longer, but not by as much. If something happens to the blank, you can make it smaller in diameter and put it on a regular Sierra.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sierras are so forgiving in length. You can shorten the tube by quite a lot. You can also make it longer, but not by as much. If something happens to the blank, you can make it smaller in diameter and put it on a regular Sierra.

I wish I had known that 2 hrs ago :tongue:. I was spacing a segmented blank with .0625" segments and trying to get the end caps looking equal :eek:. Nice to know. It was only the 3'rd or 4'th Vista I have turned. Next time will be much easier! :rolleyes:

magpens

The two Sierra Vista bushings are of different size. . One is 0.551", the other 0.523".

You can find that info in the Berea section of the IAP Tubes and Bushings catalog by Wayne R. ... accessible from the Library or the Home Page.

Last edited:

magpens

Check the specs for pen length here, by clicking on the Specifications Tab.

https://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/sierra-vista-platinum.html

Stated pen length is 5 1/8". . If you want to go longer, you will have to replace the brass tube with a longer tube.
Your present tube length supplied with the Sierra Vista is 2.21" long.
That means going to a brass tube meant for a Sierra Click pen, which has a tube that is 2.42" long.
To go any longer than that, you will have to buy some 10" long brass tubes (27/64" diam. so-called) and cut one.
The only vendor who stocks long tubes of that size is Wood-N-Whimsies.com. . Trust me, I have looked for them.

I have a finished pen in my hands and I can lengthen it to 5 3/8" and have the twist still working. . I would not attempt to go over that. . You would not be able to go over 5 7/16" for sure and still have the cap engage with the twist mechanism.

5 1/2" is definitely too long.

Why do you want to go that long, if you don't mind me asking ?

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Don't mind you asking, but you did ask. Younger daughter is helping sell pens with all money going to help older daughter during chemo treatment after breast cancer. Younger daughter lent a euro-pen I gave her to a friend and he would like to buy one in tru-stone black and gold matrix that is the same length because "that length feels good" in his pocket. Lol

thewishman

Mal, the upper bushing is also very forgiving in diameter, with the beaded clip section you can go much smaller in diameter. It has saved e a few times when I had a chunk break out. Turn the grip end first, then turn the clip end, to take full advantage of the size flexibility.

Bear Tooth Woods also sells the long Sierra tubes.

Last edited:

thewishman

Don't mind you asking, but you did ask. Younger daughter is helping sell pens with all money going to help older daughter during chemo treatment after breast cancer. Younger daughter lent a euro-pen I gave her to a friend and he would like to buy one in tru-stone black and gold matrix that is the same length because "that length feels good" in his pocket. Lol
[/url]

That's a wonderful reason! The friend may want to put a Sierra in his pocket before you make that special one. The Euro clip is very close to the top of the pen, the Sierra has more of the finial above the clip. It will feel different in his pocket.

MRDucks2

He actually wants a black with gold swirl resin blank instead of the tru-stone. Much easier for me, less risky and I can give him exactly what he wants for about $25 less. Do have that black and gold tru-stone on the way, though.

magpens

Sorry to hear your daughter needs chemo. . I applaud the efforts to assist her through your pen sales. . I sincerely wish her a full and permanent recovery.

Top Bottom