Sierra Vista(Abalone)-Question for Blank Casters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer so I broke down and bought one of the Sierra Vista-Abalone kits from BB. It is a cast blank of some sort but I am not familiar enough with the various casting materials to know which was used. Anyway, when I opened up the bag with the blank and removed the blank, it had a sticky feel to it like it was not fully curred. It isn't soft or wet and I couldn't mark the blank with my fingernail; but, still, it has a sticky feel to it. Is this normal for cured blanks right out of the mold or is it possible there is a problem with the blank?? TIA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Randy , I got some blanks like that . I drilled & turned them with no problems . The pens turned out fine .They're only sticky on the outside .
Originally posted by Randy_

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer so I broke down and bought one of the Sierra Vista-Abalone kits from BB. It is a cast blank of some sort but I am not familiar enough with the various casting materials to know which was used. Anyway, when I opened up the bag with the blank and removed the blank, it had a sticky feel to it like it was not fully curred. It isn't soft or wet and I couldn't mark the blank with my fingernail; but, still, it has a sticky feel to it. Is this normal for cured blanks right out of the mold or is it possible there is a problem with the blank?? TIA.

bitshird

Randy Polyester Resin (silmar 41) is tacky on the outside unless a second curing agent is used, it's that way so that a second coat can bond easily,

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Randy,
These particular pens appear to be very soft and rubbery, and a lot more so than what would be expected from a release agent or anthing else associated with casting. However, all of the pens I have seen were hard under the surface and turned and finished OK.

Top Bottom