sierra type twist mechanism

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buteo2808

I picked up a sierra like pen (mesa i believe) at a local store the other day. I put the pen together, but I'm having a problem with the twist mechanism. The problem is that it takes about three or four full twist to get pen tip out. It does retract in about 1/4 to 1/2 twist. My question is this something with the kit or something I might have done. If it's something I've done, can I do anything to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sounds like your turned body is on a tube that is a little too "fat". When you extend the pen the body is rotating but not driving the transmission.

I hesitate to tell you how to fix it, since it involves adhesive and if done wrong, it will ruin the pen.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Is this problem when using your fingers on the tranny or using the pen body to try and turn it? If the problem persists using just your fingers its in the tranny.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If its not in the tranny I would check to make sure the refill is passing through the nib hole with out hanging up or dragging. It may have a tight fit or an obstruction causing resistance
forcing the tube to slip on the tranny. Does the friction from the tube/cap activate the tranny in this kit or does it have a small drive piece that connects to the cap? I have never seen this kit so Im not sure.

Buteo2808

When it's out of the tube it twist fine. I'll check the nib hole. It uses the friction to activate. I hate to ruin this one. It's a feather blank from Mr Underhill.

jzerger

Thanks for asking the question ... I've run into this also.

Without intent to hijack the thread I'd like to hear suggestions on how to get the refill to stick out about an 1/8" more than it does (on some kits, it seems to work fine...others seem to always be a bit short). The kits I've primarily used in this style are Wall Street II and Monet. I'm very careful about squaring the blank to the edge of the tube...since the mechanism screws in there is little hope to extend that (without shortening the tube a smidge). Since this occurs on 30-40% of the pens I've made (of this style), probably 15 or 20 of about 50 I thought I'd ask. With this many I wouldn't think it would be the refill length but it does sometimes feel like the refill is "slipping" in the mechanism (occurs with the sharp refill from time to time).

Thanks!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When it's out of the tube it twist fine. I'll check the nib hole. It uses the friction to activate. I hate to ruin this one. It's a feather blank from Mr Underhill.
I'm sure someone here can give you some advice on fixing that - maybe a little spot of loc-tite inside the tube will work and shouldn't ruin anything if it doesn't.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks for asking the question ... I've run into this also.

Without intent to hijack the thread I'd like to hear suggestions on how to get the refill to stick out about an 1/8" more than it does (on some kits, it seems to work fine...others seem to always be a bit short). The kits I've primarily used in this style are Wall Street II and Monet. I'm very careful about squaring the blank to the edge of the tube...since the mechanism screws in there is little hope to extend that (without shortening the tube a smidge). Since this occurs on 30-40% of the pens I've made (of this style), probably 15 or 20 of about 50 I thought I'd ask. With this many I wouldn't think it would be the refill length but it does sometimes feel like the refill is "slipping" in the mechanism (occurs with the sharp refill from time to time).
Thanks!
Tube length can be very critical on this style and it doesn't need to be a big difference in length either. When I did the Le Roi Elegant I had to make the tubes a tad shorter than the standard tubes for a similar style pen from the same manufacturer.

Top Bottom