Sierra type kit breaking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gasser

I've had a problem with several Sierra type kits that will break loose on the inside toward the nib and then not be able to extend refill out of nib. I have repaired some with CA. Sell a lot of these and don't want problems. Any suggestions. Like the Aero kit with the finial tranny, but most think its a little short. Any Sierra type pens with finial tranny?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have had this same problem with some of the sierras. What I had to do was press that part back together and it will hold for a while but then loosen up again. I don't have a good fix for you but thought I would let you know that you are not the only one!

KenV

I've had a problem with several Sierra type kits that will break loose on the inside toward the nib and then not be able to extend refill out of nib. I have repaired some with CA. Sell a lot of these and don't want problems. Any suggestions. Like the Aero kit with the finial tranny, but most think its a little short. Any Sierra type pens with finial tranny?
Thanks

There are a bunch of different component sets in that style, and the quality I see can be variable.

Many of these come apart with a transfer punch after removal of transmission and refill. Same technique as used when replacing the lower plastics section with custom materials.

I have used JBWeld to repair two with that problem. Note that those two were not Berea Sierra pen components.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank you to Ken and Dan!!

Yes, many other manufacturers CALL their kits "Sierra".

But Berea is using their own manufacturer who has made pen kits for them for two decades. The "other-Sierra"s are NOT made in that factory.

Not ALL "other-sierras" are BAD, but they are certainly NOT all GOOD!!! Berea is consistently good!! NOT perfect, GOOD! And they stand behind the ones that have "issues" (less than 1% of the production, but they DO exist from time to time)!

butchf18a

I feel it is important to make the distinction as Ed clearly enumerates, that there is significant difference between a Sierra and sierra type kit. Sierra is a Berea trademark name. Knowing Jim and Joe at Berea quite well I can assure all that they stand behind the quality of their kits, components, and customer service. I have, on numerous occasions been in their office when they will take a phone call and help the person with whatever issue has prompted the call.

Long answer to the point, if what you have is a Sierra and not some sierra type pen, call them and they will help you. Knowing them, even if you have a sierra type kit, I bet they would still assist.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It does get a tiny bit complicated in some cases because the Wall St 2 from woodcraft is exactly the Sierra, correct?
Rockler also used to sell Berea kits under their name (Sierra) and I believe Lee Valley did also. Almost everybody sells a sierra style kit because they are very popular. Several of the similar kits come from Dayacom and some from Rizheng and there are a couple of other manufacturers as well.

Top Bottom