Sierra Tube Undersized?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

Hey Guys

I happened to undersize a Sierra tube slightly.Is it possible to grind a bit off the end of the trans.so the turned barrel will meet up with the nib end?

Thanks,
Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Tim; Do I understand you correctly?

You want to shorten the end of the barrel next to the nib end of the pen?

The short answer is, Yes, you can do that. Take the Nib, inkfill, transmission, and finial and assemble WITHOUT the barrel. Push the finial as far down as it will go. The space between the nib and finial is the minimum length of the barrel. Likely you can remove at least 1/8" and probably much more. There are several variants of the Sierra and not all are exactly identical in this respect.

Silverado

Thanks for the reply Randy

I think by end milling my tube to short it has caused a poor fit when pen is assembled.I have a slight gap between barrel and nib end.I think I have to some how shorten the overall length of the hardware to compensate for my error? Hope this is clearer

Thanks Tim

KenV

On the Berea Sierra, you had to mill a lot off the tube to make it too short --- if you started with a standard twist Sierra tube.

The tolerance on the twist version is up to about 0.12 shorter than standard.

There are Berea Sierra variants with shorter tubes in the Elegant style, and one can rework the barrell down to pencil length (the shortest).

My speculation is that you got a shorter tube and it will not fit the standard twist lower unit.

Cmiles1985

If the tube is too short, you don't want to shorten the rest of the pen. As it is, the refill will stick out too far. On a Sierra, I thought the whole transmission and nib was one assembly and shouldn't be dependent on the barrel length. Maybe I'm missing something? Can you post some pictures of the problem?

Top Bottom