Sierra Style Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

Does anyone else notice that the sierra twist style kits tend to wear after awhile? Where the upper barrel connects to the lower barrel, the repeated twisting motion seems to wear just enough so you don't have the nice, solid "open/close" twist. I haven't made any of the sierra-style kits that are finial twist. Do they have a similar issue or do they present any other problems? Is there a preference as a penturner of one type over the other? Any positive or negative feedback from customers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Does anyone else notice that the sierra twist style kits tend to wear after awhile? Where the upper barrel connects to the lower barrel, the repeated twisting motion seems to wear just enough so you don't have the nice, solid "open/close" twist. I haven't made any of the sierra-style kits that are finial twist. Do they have a similar issue or do they present any other problems? Is there a preference as a penturner of one type over the other? Any positive or negative feedback from customers?
Finial Twist do not have a similar condition to what you described. They do have a different issue that might bother some in that they are not very forgiving on the tube length - if you shorten the tube when squaring they will not retract fully. That being said, I would not make any of that style that were not finial twist.

magpens

I haven't had that problem with any of the conventional twists or with any finial twists. . I do prefer the finial twist because of the overall styling.

My experience is limited to Berea, Craft Supplies, and Dayacom kits (about 200 total).

I have not made any Mesa, Gatsby, or Wall Street kits.

Maybe you can state more fully what the nature of your problem is ... is it visible wear, or are you going by the feel only ? . Could it be the transmission, or do you think it is something else ? . Also, if you don't mind, what brand(s) of kits ?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I haven't had that problem with any of the conventional twists or with any finial twists. . I do prefer the finial twist because of the overall styling.

My experience is limited to Berea, Craft Supplies, and Dayacom kits (about 200 total).

I have not made any Mesa, Gatsby, or Wall Street kits.

Maybe you can state more fully what the nature of your problem is ... is it visible wear, or are you going by the feel only ? . Could it be the transmission, or do you think it is something else ? . Also, if you don't mind, what brand(s) of kits ?
You never made any Le Roi Kits? I would have guessed that you did.

magpens

Yes, Smitty ... I forgot to mention the Le Roi pens ..... :redface::redface::redface: ... Sorry !

And also your finial twist Dayacom pen that is quite like the Napoleon !

And Ed, I see you liked my prev post ... I have made some of your Zodiac and Ellipse ... should have mentioned ... Sorry :redface::redface::redface:

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yes, Smitty ... I forgot to mention the Le Roi pens ..... :redface::redface::redface: ... Sorry !

And Ed, I see you liked my prev post ... I have made some of your Zodiac and Ellipse ... should have mentioned ... Sorry :redface::redface::redface:
Thank you, I was starting to think my memory was even worse than it is.:wink::wink::wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
NO harm done, Mal!!! I agree with your comments on the source of "sierra-style". There are MANY look alikes, with quality and prices all over the map---so yes, it matters whose "sierra-style" you purchase.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

It is the same kit as the Napoleon but with a finial twist. But Dayacom calls it the Major the Canadian who carries them gave them a different name.

bjbear76

The kits are Berea. There is some visible wear - see picture.
I don't think it's a major issue. My guess is that the user may be somewhat aggressive and twists past the "open" position and then when they twist to close, they twist too far and the transmission starts to unscrew.

I have made some of the LeRoi's and the only feedback I had was the traditional twist was easier to use. I noticed customers using their thumb on the clip to twist the barrel.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

Attachments

• 20170117_082732.jpg
    20170117_082732.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 198

curlyjoe

From the picture, it appears to be an issue with the blank and tube rather then the kit.
If you remove the glue and burrs from inside the brass tube you should not have the issues.

magpens

Bill,

The wear marks seem to be suggestive of the condition that curlyjoe mentioned.

But I would think that condition would manifest itself immediately after assembly
(not "after awhile" as you stated in the OP).

Top Bottom