Sierra size differences

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewmeister35

I'm wanting to add the sierra or sierra vista to my collection and trying to decide which one. I know the vista is bigger by .040 and .050. Can someone tell me the sizes in diameter at the barrel ends of the sierra?

Thanks,

David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

According to the information I have been given for the PRC, the Sierra blank is 0.475" at both ends while the Sierra Vista is 0.521" at the nib end and 0.515" at the finial end.

wayneis

Unless you are going to do quite a few of the tropical blanks then I would stick with the Sierra as the Sierra Vista is larger and people I've shown it to don't seem to really care for it as much.

Wayne

Woodlvr

Is there a different set of bushings for the larger Sierra? I have the Woodcraft Wall Street II and III's and they say they use the same bushings? Isn't the pen thicker and longer than the original? TIA for the help.

Mike

Brewmeister35

Glad you threw that in there. I decided to skip it for now and get it from woodcraft locally another time. I thought the wallstreet II was the sierra vista but I am not familiar with these pens. I'm also very curious which of the 2 is the better seller.

Randy_

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />Is there a different set of bushings for the larger Sierra? I have the Woodcraft Wall Street II and III's and they say they use the same bushings? Isn't the pen thicker and longer than the original? TIA for the help.

Mike: I am curious to know exactly where the bushing information you mentioned comes from?

I checked the Woodcraft web site and don't find it there. In fact the web site has neither a set of instructions posted for the Wallstreet III kit nor a listing for an available bushing?

Woodlvr

Randy,
I called the techs at Woodcraft and they stated that they were the same bushings, BUT that does not mean that it is true. I got the impression that this person had never turned a pen before and really was looking for a quick answer. There is not going to be any new instructions posted he stated as that this kit is just larger than the original. FWIW I do not think that he is right but I have not had time to try out the WS III yet as I am prepping my neighbors house for it to be sold. Let me know if you find out the truth.[:D]

Mike

Randy_

OK, Mike. Here is the answer, maybe? The folks you talked to were confused, apparently. My curiosity was triggered and that is never tolerated so I, too called Woodcraft. Had to go through several people to get an answer that made sense. Can't say that it is correct, but it makes sense...at least sort of.

Turns out that the bushings are "NOT" the same. The bushing for the Wall Street III is stock #147478 and the bushing for the Wall Street II is #146597.

Where the confusion comes in is that Woodcraft describes the bushing for the Wall Street III kit as being for the Wall Street II Tropical Island Series and while the TIS has the Wall Street II name attached to it, it is actually a Wall Street III kit. Interesting to know, I am going to have to add that that choice tidbit to my pen chart,

mick

Randy here's a simple rule of thumb. If you're turning a wood or standard acrylic , plastic, whatever pen you can use the WSII or the Sierra and bushings depending on where you buy it. However if you are going to turn a snakeskin blank you will need to buy the WSIII or Sierra Vista kit and bushings . If you're turning any of the tropical pens(coconut, abalone or mother of pearl) they come with the Sierra Vista kit. I've turned both and it's virtually impossible to turn a Snakeskin using the standard WS or Sierra bushings. You end up turning through the resin and into the skin itself. I assume it would be the same if you were trying one of the tropical blanks

Rmartin

What Mick said. The vista is needed for snakeskin. I bought my Vista Sierras (Berea product) from AS. They only had the standard plating. I prefer the Titanium Sierra because I don't like all that plastic on the Vista.

Rmartin

LanceD

Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />What Mick said. The vista is needed for snakeskin. I bought my Vista Sierras (Berea product) from AS. They only had the standard plating. I prefer the Titanium Sierra because I don't like all that plastic on the Vista.

Rmartin

There is NO plastic on either the Sierra's or Vistas.

mick

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />
Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />What Mick said. The vista is needed for snakeskin. I bought my Vista Sierras (Berea product) from AS. They only had the standard plating. I prefer the Titanium Sierra because I don't like all that plastic on the Vista.

Rmartin

There is NO plastic on either the Sierra's or Vistas.

I think Richard is referring to the Black powder coated parts of the standard Sierras and Vistas. However if you didn't know the Vistas are available with the Black Ti finish also [:D]

Woodlvr

Randy,
Thank you for taking the time and effort to solve the question. The employees at my WC are not aware of which bushings to use so I will print out the numbers for them to have.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom