Sierra sans black

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

This sierra was stripped of its black cones and the cones replaced with buckeye cones. I tried some plain wood but had to go to Cactus Juice stabilized buckeye. I used buckeye because I have several short blanks I "juiced" awhile back. Nothing special about using buckeye. The finished cones get very THIN and I have several in various stages of destruction. Hence, the change to some stabilized wood. When I learn more about making these thin cones I'll probably change to a nice acrylic blank. Also, using a sierra vista may give thicker walls: not by much but a little thicker. I did not have a sierra vista to use. I know the cone above the clip is too large (diameter) but it is the more difficult one to make. The cone above the nib is also a bit too large (diameters). More later. Enjoy and give it a go....we have a long weekend coming.:biggrin: Comments always welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Thanks. I am writing an article on how I did this. It will be published at the end of June. Then I will send a copy to the library.

To get the black cones off just use a punch and knock out the chrome parts. Disassembly is the easy part.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Some time ago, one of the guys in Milwaukee did this. Looked very interesting, so I tried to take apart a diplomat (Exotic's budget sierra) and a couple Berea sierras.

Although I succeeded ultimately, the parts were NOT pretty when I was done.

My point is, if Don has found a kit that makes it easier---make sure you are getting the SAME kit he used.

its_virgil

I used a Berea sierra for this mod. i will be checking other "sierra" types to see if any of them come apart any easier. I'll report here if I find any useful info. When a mod like this is done to a certain kit it is no guarantee that it can be done the same way using another mfg's similar kit.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Some time ago, one of the guys in Milwaukee did this. Looked very interesting, so I tried to take apart a diplomat (Exotic's budget sierra) and a couple Berea sierras.

Although I succeeded ultimately, the parts were NOT pretty when I was done.

My point is, if Don has found a kit that makes it easier---make sure you are getting the SAME kit he used.

papaturner

This sierra was stripped of its black cones and the cones replaced with buckeye cones. I tried some plain wood but had to go to Cactus Juice stabilized buckeye. I used buckeye because I have several short blanks I "juiced" awhile back. Nothing special about using buckeye. The finished cones get very THIN and I have several in various stages of destruction. Hence, the change to some stabilized wood. When I learn more about making these thin cones I'll probably change to a nice acrylic blank. Also, using a sierra vista may give thicker walls: not by much but a little thicker. I did not have a sierra vista to use. I know the cone above the clip is too large (diameter) but it is the more difficult one to make. The cone above the nib is also a bit too large (diameters). More later. Enjoy and give it a go....we have a long weekend coming.:biggrin: Comments always welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Great job Don. This my one and only completed one..........I gave up on how many I destroyed. I look forward to your article.

Top Bottom