Sierra REPAIR HELP=Quickly please!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Customer just sent me a Sierra I sold them.

The transmission is in the "top half" of the pen, but the threads do not engage the "nib half". Like the transmission has been "pushed up" in the top half.

I was able to grab the transmission, with a cuticle cutter and slowly twist it out, so I CAN repair. BUT, WHAT went WRONG!!!

Will this happen again, and HOW can I stop it????

The sierra is "new to me" (OK, I am NOT an "early adapter"), so I could use some education and they want the pen shipped out by me no later than tomorrow!!! (Gift to young man going to tour Europe Friday).

THANKS for any and all help!!!:D:D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
The user unscrewed it and pushed. Not a lot you can do because the rotating part of the transmission is below the fixed part so an CA/locktight you might apply will smear and catch the rotating part to.

You could possibly remove the clip end, put the transmission in place and apply a drop of CA/locktight through the open top then put the clip end back on.

GK

Russianwolf

What GK said happened.

Solutions that have been discussed around here:

1) provide instructions that say, "pull pen apart to change refill, do NOT unscrew". Also make sure they know not to over-rotate when retracting the refill and push the pen together when they have a gap. It's just a slower meathod of getting the same result.

2) glue a spacer in the finial that will prevent the transmission from riding up too far.

IPD_Mrs

Ed all of the suggestions so far have been good but there is one that is missing......Find smarter customers! [:0]

On the serious side you know if you provide instruction with a pen to not include what NOT to do. Human nature...tell them not to do something and you know what the first thing they will do is!!!

BTW, are you guaranteeing pens damaged by the flooding?[:eek:)][:eek:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

Remember Chris Farley's routine of "living in a van, down by the river"? HE would have been the "elite" of Racine's river community. I don't think I have any customers down there!!!!

Thanks to all for your comments. I appreciate the help!!

Also good to know I am not the first to encounter this problem!!

sbell111

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

Ed all of the suggestions so far have been good but there is one that is missing......Find smarter customers! [:0]
I guess that rules me out, also.

A few weeks ago, we were at a show. Cathy stepped away to see what she could see and left me 'in charge'. A customer wanted to buy a couple WS2's, but wanted them with gel cartridges. No problem, I'll change it out.

D'Oh! I absent mindedly tried to screw off the top of one. It took me a few minutes to fix it. In the mean time, the customer decided only to buy the one I didn't screw up. He bought a Jr Gent instead of the troublemaker, so it actually worked out better for us, but that doesn't excuse my boneheadedness.

gwilki

Ed: I had a couple do that, and finally gave up on instructing buyers. If the buyer gives it as a gift, the instructions frequently don't go with it. Now, I glue the transmission into the upper part of the pen. It will not pull apart any more, but if they over rotate when retracting the nib, there is no harm done. Worse case, they take the pen apart. It goes back together with no problems, since the transmission cannot move up into the barrel.

Ed, Greg's assessment (and solution) were both spot-on...DAMHIKT!!!! There is another solution, if you're
VERY CAUTIOUS!!! Check the fit of the transmission in
the top tube, and if its even a little bit "not snug",
carefully squeeze it in your vise (.001-.002" is more
than enough, and will not make it so out-of-round that
the nib has any side-play. Greg's plan is, of course, a
better solution, but if you can't get the clip end off,
this will cure your problem.

Stephen

The Gatsby mechanism from PSI looks similiar to the Sierra kits from Rockler. But the instructions are different for assembling the kit and replacing the refill from the Sierra. Are they different kits? The Gatsby calls for assembly without the refill and then unscrewing the upper barrel from the nib end to insert the refill. Could someone who has done a Gatsby tell me how to assemble/replace the refill? I have ordered the Gatsby kits and would like to know the right way. I do not want to damage them. Thanks.

nightowl

I have just finished mourning over my firs Sierra type pen. It is actually a Wall Street II pen. I think they are pretty much the same. I didn't like the fit between the lower and upper halves so I put a little CA glue on the lower half. Well, you know what happened. The pen is now permanently glued. Just luckily I had the pen cartridge in the down position. I can use it until the ink runs out. Then I can put it on a shelf or throw it away. Live and learn....Live and Learn. Good luck to ya' Ed. If anyone can figue it out you're the one.

pentex

Grant, great idea. I tried this on a couple of pens this morning and now all I have to do is unscrew to change the refill. Great idea and thanks for sharing.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Grant,

That seems to work!!

Thanks, did it last night and sent the pen off this morning (epoxy, so as not to leave any "white residue"). Appreciate everyone's help. Should reach the customer several HOURS before he leaves for Europe!!!

Top Bottom