Sierra rattle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rwfish

I like using the sierra kits but they seem to have a rattle noise at the tip. I am not sure if it is the spring or the ink or both. Anyone experience this and/or have a fix for it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have had that on two Seirras that were several years old - the nib (or as some have lately written "nose cone") gets loose from the metal sleeve above it. Very slightly loose, and yet as I write with it, there is a slight click like noise. I fixed both by taking it off and applying a light coat of epoxy and putting it back together.

magpens

Hank,

When you took it apart to apply the epoxy, did the metal sleeve actually separate from the nose cone?

Reason I ask is there was recently another thread about deliberately doing this and then replacing the metal sleeve with another material.

I have had that on two Seirras that were several years old - the nib (or as some have lately written "nose cone") gets loose from the metal sleeve above it. Very slightly loose, and yet as I write with it, there is a slight click like noise. I fixed both by taking it off and applying a light coat of epoxy and putting it back together.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hank,

When you took it apart to apply the epoxy, did the metal sleeve actually separate from the nose cone?

Reason I ask is there was recently another thread about deliberately doing this and then replacing the metal sleeve with another material.

Yes, on one it was loose by the center band and by the nose cone, IIRC, but on the other - it was loose up close to the centerband only. These two pens were made around 2008 or 2009, and they came loose around 2014 - 2016. I fixed them with epoxy as mentioned.

The thread you referred to - I think I saw it. I had the same idea back when I was in Japan and tried to take one apart, and could not without tearing up the piece between the nose cone and the center band. I never did get time to build my own before I moved back to the States, but I still have those parts somewhere.

This brings up: how does one carefully - without causing damage - separate that piece from the nose cone and center band on a "good" Sierra component? My two above came apart from overuse, too much pressure and age. With a press and care it could probably be done without causing damage, IMHO.

magpens

Hank ... Thank you for reply.

I think, IIRC, that there is an article or a thread about doing this, but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom