sierra problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paintspill

just finished my second sierra. both had issues and the tip end. the wall thickness is so thin there that the first one chipped and the second was crushed when assembling. anyone else have these problems.

Attachments

• 100_0497 (640x480).jpg
    100_0497 (640x480).jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_5615 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_5615 (800x533).jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrburls

Hi, You could try some of the other pen kits aviable which allow for thicker material left after turning to final dai. Such as the Sierra (make sure to choose the right one) from Arizona Silhouette or the Majestic Squire from Penn State Industries. These work great for cast blanks and when I want to keep my wood blanks larger to show off the grain pattern.

Keith "mrburls"

witz1976

I would turn them a little thicker. I prefer a sierra with a slightly larger bulbous middle that is tapered to the ends. I also end them so they are completely even or slightly higher than needed. It almost looks by the pics you turned them a little too thin.

Fibonacci

Who did you get these kits from?

I bought sierra clones from a couple different places and found the different vendors to have fairly different diameters on the hardware on the tip end.

Note: For the purposes of this post, I am ignoring the various arguments about which pen of that style is the "original" and which ones are knock offs of what. As sierra is a recognized name for a specific type of pens, I am using that name for convenience only.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
just finished my second sierra. both had issues and the tip end. the wall thickness is so thin there that the first one chipped and the second was crushed when assembling. anyone else have these problems.
Were you using a hammer? Just curious why so much pressure would be needed to assemble one.

tnilmerl

Hmmm, never had the problem of being too thin. On the crushed end though. Sounds like you didn't true up down to the tube before turning. When you pressed the end on, you were applying pressure to the body and not the tube.

In either case, to 'fix' this problem, dissembled the pen, remount on lathe and turn down 1/8 to 1/4 on both ends of the body. Find a piece of complementary material (always keep your cutoffs for this purpose. Drill and then glue these to the ends of the body. Square off again, then remount on lathe and turn back to final dimensions. Finish as usual, and then reassemble.

Now, some additional advice. This is one of the easiest pens to assemble. I use it for most of my intro pen turning classes. You can actually assemble it totally by hand without using a pen press, so this should totally eliminate your crushing problem. Now, on turning too thin. That's just practice and experience. I tend to turn slightly larger, then bevel the ends down to final dimensions.

Boz

The Sierra is not my favorite but not for this reason. My issue is the hole in the tip is too big and the spring supplied is so wimpy that when you write with it clicks when you write with it because the refill is flopping around in the tip. That aside my experience is these kits go together so easy that you can allmost do it by hand and a press is overkill. Are you sure that there is not some excess glue or something on the inside of the tube that is causing preasure on the turned wood on the outside when pressed together?

tnilmerl

Loose and sloppy inner diameter of tip. I have the exact opposite problem. It is usually too tight. I have a very small rat-tail file that I use to ream out and smooth the inside. Where do you buy your kits (not that it really matters)?

My BIGGEST gripe is the poor finish (especially the gold ones) wears off very quickly (6-12 months and you will see notice wear). For this reason, I have switched over to the Aero. Slightly smaller, but a vastly superior product, with better overall mechanism, fit and finish.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
You could have a 24 K wall hanging and if you look at it wrong I think it will show some wear. :biggrin:

paintspill

thanks all for the advise. i'll try to cover everything in one post. it is a cheap kit the tip actually pulled apart from the accent ring just handling it, had to glue it back in. the wood is actually very thin at the point it meets the ends. almost transparent thin. and i hate having my blanks shy or proud of the kit (i'm a stickler for flush) as for the crush i think i pressed at a slight angle. i will definitely look into some of the other kits mentioned because i do really like the pen.
thanks again guys.
on a side note. made two more cigars last night but haven't time to post right now.

Fibonacci

Take a look at the Sierra, Diplomat 2, and Diplomat 4 from Exotic Blanks. They are less expensive than a lot of similar kits and at least thier sierra is very good quality. I picked up a couple to fiddle with and I was impressed.

I have also gotten the really dirt cheap ones and been unimpressed with the tolerances.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You have all clearly shown that there are MANY manufacturers putting out pens they call "Sierra". If you saw a horse, a camel and a zebra, but called them all by the same name, you would have very different experiences. Horses don't spit, camels have no stripes.

Calling all the pens "sierra" causes great confusion. Our "diplomats" were made for me, then sold to me as a "sierra". Knowing they were NOT made by Berea, I renamed them--too bad the rest of the world did not do the same.

Fibonacci

Calling all the pens "sierra" causes great confusion. Our "diplomats" were made for me, then sold to me as a "sierra". Knowing they were NOT made by Berea, I renamed them--too bad the rest of the world did not do the same.

Do you have a recommended solution for this? I agree that it is a large problem.

Your comment reminds me of my toddler. If it has fur, it is a cat, a dog, or a cow. Up until a couple weeks ago, it was just cat or dog. I think it will be easier to sort out animals for him than the confusion surrounding the different pen kits.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Do you have a recommended solution for this? I agree that it is a large problem.

If you decided to call yourself a "Rockefeller", people might perceive you as being extremely wealthy. You would be happy with this, since often wealthy people get gifts from people. So, the only way you would change is if the real Rockefellers forced the change.

I believe this is the case, here. The "hangers-on" will only change their names if Berea can force them to. It may be too late for this to happen with the sierra. But, I am strongly encouraging Berea to "claim their names" in the future.

By the way, "ExoticBlanks" is a registered trademark, for all craft applications, just in case anyone was thinking of using it.

Last edited:

Fibonacci

Was Berea the originator of the Sierra name?

I have seen a number of conflicting stories about the Sierra, the Elegant Beauty, and the Aero. I would be interested in the full story if it is available somewhere.

Unfortunately, you have to protect your IP to maintain it. If they did start the name, it is probably too late to try enforcing it now.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Was Berea the originator of the Sierra name?

I have seen a number of conflicting stories about the Sierra, the Elegant Beauty, and the Aero. I would be interested in the full story if it is available somewhere.

Unfortunately, you have to protect your IP to maintain it. If they did start the name, it is probably too late to try enforcing it now.

"Sierra" was available long before the Elegant Beauty. And, yes, there are several sides to that (Elegant Beauty) story. Whoever originated "sierra" should have complained about the first impostor. My contention is every manufacturer should be enthusiastic about their product having it's own identity--that's the basis of "branding".

And, yes the same is true of the slimline. But when the second slimline came out, it was a little better than the first. And, subsequent generations were improvements, all by the major players named earlier.

Both the Sierra and the slimline have had their names besmirched by the cheap imitations that have used the names. And, those of you who have been buying pen kits for less than 10 years should not be expected to know the difference or have to search out the details. Simply requiring manufacturers to be identifiable on the end product would achieve the same goal--praise where it is earned and damning where it is deserved.

Seems simple enough!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
SIERRA

If you decided to call yourself a "Rockefeller", people might perceive you as being extremely wealthy. You would be happy with this, since often wealthy people get gifts from people. So, the only way you would change is if the real Rockefellers forced the change.

I believe this is the case, here. The "hangers-on" will only change their names if Berea can force them to. It may be too late for this to happen with the sierra. But, I am strongly encouraging Berea to "claim their names" in the future.

By the way, "ExoticBlanks" is a registered trademark, for all craft applications, just in case anyone was thinking of using it.

When I talked to their lawyer I told her that I thought she was trying to close the barn door after the horse had run off. I had stopped selling sierras so I was more than willing to change the name - I didn't have any to change. But even some folks that are selling Berea made kits use the name as if it were their own....some don't even mention Berea on their web site. You do but not everyone does. Since Berea has allowed this to go on for years, I think it's hard for them to claim exclusive use if anyone argues with them about it.

I think sierra is like cigar, slimline, comfort, euro, designer, teachers and I suppose others.

Personally I would advise Berea to start using their name in the names of their kits - Berea Sierra - has a nice ring to it.

Top Bottom