Sierra Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dexter0606

Has anybody ever seen this happen before. It's a Sierra I made for a friend. It gets used everyday but not abused.

Attachments

• Sierra problem.jpg
    Sierra problem.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 350
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Has anybody ever seen this happen before. It's a Sierra I made for a friend. It gets used everyday but not abused.
Hi Jeff; Are you looking for a solution?, or just wondering if anybody has ever seen this happen before. No I've never seen it happen before. Looks like a job for 2 part epoxy to me!

dexter0606

Mack
I guess I'm looking to see if this is a common occurence. I've got lot of these Sierra's "out there". I am going to epoxy it together and use it as a spare. I've replaced the complete nib for my friend

David Keller

Never seen it, but a little glue should do the trick... If you could get the nib end loose, you could replace the black material with something else.

MartinPens

I've had it happen a couple times, and I've made A LOT of this style pens. There is a similar issue with the nib holder on the Churchill. A little CA glue will do ya.

Martin

bitshird

I've not seen that problem before, I just hate their Transmission coupler, nice to see there is something else that can go wrong, but this looks like an easy fix, and a nice opening for customization of the grip/nib.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I've seen that happen before - in fact, there are two very rarely used pens on my buffet that have had that happen...

I've also had many instances of the transmission disengaging and getting lodged in the barrel...

For those reasons, I'll never again use the Sierra kit...

1080Wayne

Yes , had one fall apart when I picked it up after assembly . Found another in my stock of kits by pulling on both ends . Both were were chrome kits . Doubt if you will have in-use failures if you do that check . Epoxy will solve the problem .

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
That looks like a fairly easy fix....I have instructions for several types of pens that show how to assemble everything even though some parts are pre-assembled. I figure that's for the kits they forget to glue when they do the pre-assembly

seamus7227

I've had the same thing happen to me with the elegant beauties. only twice though, and the cause was from the customer dropping the pen too many times. I dont think people realize that these pens are still breakable even though they are handmade.:rolleyes:

DurocShark

I've had a couple come back to me for that failure as well. You can see where the bit'o'glue was applied at the factory. Too little IMHO.

Spats139

Had it happen once with a pen that I had been carrying in my pocket daily for about eight months; a little CA and it's still doing fine five months later.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yes, I had it happen on a just completed Elegant Sierra. Try fixing it with some locktite instead of CA or epoxy. It is easier to clean off any squeeze out so you will not see any glue residue and it holds VERY well.

Top Bottom