Sierra Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

latelearner

Has anybody experienced any problems with the twist mechanism on the Sierra kits from Berea Hardwoods? The last four pens I made ( Sierra ) the twist would extend the pen point, but when you tried to retract it, the mechanism keeps coming apart. I called Berea and was told to use Blue Loctite. Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal? Thanks for any assistance.

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Nope , your not doing anything wrong . It's a design flaw in the Sierra style pens . The blue loctite or a pair of pliers is the only solution . Wait till you sell or give one away and the customer looses the transmission up in the barrel . There are modifications you can make to stop that but you shouldn't have to .

ldb2000

One little drop on the threads of the transmission . It should last through a couple of refill changes , unless the customer cleans it off . This applies to ALL sierra clones as well . Not sure about the Diplomats since I haven't used them yet .

I've had the same problem with the Sierra kits, also. I've spent a lot on postage fixing and returning pens that are not broken! The loctite works, but make sure you let it dry and then unscrew the transmission once before you ship the pen! It holds so well that the customer will not get it unscrewed without pliers, and you don't want that!

I plan on switching kits because this is getting old.

ldb2000

I was just looking at the Diplomat kits and I'm sorry to say they look like a sierra clone so they most likely have the same problem . The fix isn't hard , just put a little plug of wood up in the transmission activator tube to keep the transmission from pushing up too far into the barrel but you will still need the blue loctite to lock the transmission and keep it from unscrewing when you retract the refill . You shouldn't have to modify a kit to keep it from coming back after you sell it .

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've switched over to the Diplomat kits and haven't had the problem of the transmission unscrewing like I have with other Sierra style kits.
The finish on the Diplomats seems better than other Sierra's in the same price range. I've never had one returned.

ldb2000

I've switched over to the Diplomat kits and haven't had the problem of the transmission unscrewing like I have with other Sierra style kits.
The finish on the Diplomats seems better than other Sierra's in the same price range. I've never had one returned.

That's a good thing . I hate to mod the darn kits and I've had plating problems with the Sierras . I will have to try a few on my next order .

Top Bottom