Sierra Pen Kit Plating ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I just got my Sierra pen kits from Lou's bulk buy. They look like nice kits and I am looking forward to making them up for Christmas presents!! But i do have a question about the Plating/coating and hope some can offer an explanation. I ordered three different "colors".....satin gold, satin silver and satin chrome. I guess there was some substitution as I got only satin gold and satin silver. Now my first question is as follows. The AS web site identifies these pens as satin silver; but the tags on the package call them Pearl Silver?? Does anyone know if satin silver and pearl silver are the same coating or do I need to send BB an email for a clarification??

And my second question: Both of these coatings(satin silver and satin gold) don't really look like metallic platings to me. They look a lot more like an enamel or powder coating. Anyone out there know
more details about these coatings?? I'm concerned that these coats might not be as durable as Titanium or Platinum/Rhodium plating.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomServo

These kits are Berea hardwoods kits, look on their site and in their catalog for an explanation of the coatings.. there is not a whole lot of info on the satin finishes.. They do have a tech support number you could call and I'm sure they'd be glad to tell you... When/if you do call, let us know too :)

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/separatepages/18-19.pdf

alamocdc

Randy, no coatings, other than maybe chrome, are as durable as TN and platinum. BTW, the Sierra comes in 3 satin finishes: satin gold, satin nickel (darker than PSI's satin silver) and pearl silver (almost white).

wayneis

Randy The Powder coated finishes are very good finishes and long lasting. If you read anything on PC you will see that it with last probably as long as Titanium. Someone a while back even tested by using a buffing wheel and couldn't put a mark on the powder coated parts. Hard as a Woodpeckers lips I think was the phrase that was used. If the color is white then it is pearl silver, if its a greyish silver then its satin silver, then I think that you can figure out what satin gold looks like.That is the three satin finishes.

Wayne

Mikey

They must have started making the satin stuff better than. Last year I made a whole pile of the satin stuff. While they lasted longer than 24k stuff, the plating still showed wear after about 6 months. Because of this, I stay away from anything besides Ti and chrome finishes, even if they do look really good.[:(]

Randy_

Tom: Thanks. I did see that stuff in the Berea catalog; but was/am a little confused because they don't show a satin silver finish and the AS web site does. Also neither site makes it clear whether some or all of these satin/pearl finishes are metallic coatings or powder coatings. Doesn't look like I am going to get a definitive answer here so I will probably be capping Berea and AS on Monday.

Randy_

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Randy, no coatings, other than maybe chrome, are as durable as TN and platinum. BTW, the Sierra comes in 3 satin finishes: satin gold, satin nickel (darker than PSI's satin silver) and <b>pearl silver </b>(almost white).

Billy: This is what was/is confusing me. Presumably, we are talking about the same finish; but Berea calls it pearl silver and Bill and Lou are referring to it as satin silver. For people who have been there before, it may not be a problem; but this is my first shot at a coating other than Gold, Ti or Rhodium so I'm bumfuzzled. And still trying to figure out which are platings and which are powder coatings??

Randy_

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />...Someone a while back even tested by using a buffing wheel and couldn't put a mark on the powder coated parts.....

Wayne: Thanks. I remember seeing a post on the testing of some platings. Think it might have been Fred that did it; but not for sure??? The thread I saw, IIRC, only tested gold platings; but did look at the epoxy coated gold that PSI was selling. IIRC, it held up pretty well; but I don't remember any discussion of powder coatings???

Guess I will hit the search function and see what I can find; but I bet a search of "powder" is going to return hundreds of posts!![:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom