Sierra Pen - First one didn't turn out right.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMckin5324

Ok, so this may be a very stupid question........:rolleyes:
I did a Sierra pen the night before last and it didn't come out right. It was a disaster from the start I guess as the transmission or mecanic would'nt work once the pen was complete. That was the first issue I ran into, luckily the manager from Rockler replaced it with out question. But the biggest concern to me was the blank, it came out magnificent, it was one of the Molten metal acrylic blanks............finished amazing, but when I put it onto the pen it wasn't even, the tip end of the lb was tissue thin on one side and thick on the other. Obviously, it moved off the bushing.
So the question I have is, "Is there a special way to set up the bushings"?
I tried to fit the shoulder into the barrels but it wouldn't fit. Any help would be great.

Thanks
--Rick McKinney
Medfield, MA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

I've seen this before too. Not a big gap but noticeable to me. I'm thinking a mandrel problem. I was using the regular screw typle mandrel. and went to the mandrel saver. It did help.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Check your bushings. The hole is probably not centered.

(No, this is NOT the first thing you would think of, just the one thing that often works!!):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

RMckin5324

Ok, well I figured out my problem. The bushings that I got from Rockler don't fit...........not only do they not fit, I force one in and cant get it out without damaging the tube. Funny story, I set it up, and turned a really nice piece of IA - Molten Medal (very chippy....btw) and I couldn't get it off. I finally got it to come off but it took the tout of the blank after it was turned. I put in another tube and its looks great, just the bushing stuck on the tube looks bad...lol.

--Rick McKinney
Medfield, MA

Top Bottom