Sierra Pen Blank Length

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricJS

Just a simple question... How long do I need to cut a blank for a Sierra (Berea Sierra Elegant Beauty).

I am making cuts on a piece of Cocobolo & I will come up a bit short at the end. I believe I'll be able to make 3" lengths out of it.

I've been searching this forum, Sierra instructions, and blank retailers, but I just can't nail down this simple measurement!

Thank you very much!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If you look on the right hand side of the Home page here at IAP, you'll find a
PDF file with pen kits bushings, tube lengths etc. Good one to have on your
desktop for reference. Its called Bushing & Tube Reference. Look right above
the camera on the right..

EricJS

Thank you. I have seen this reference chart, I just didn't make the connection that I could look at tube length.

There are various sierra Elegant Beauty pens. I believe I can get by with a 2 3/4" blank for the Berea twist and click versions.

If someone has a different recommendation based on experience, please let me know.

Thanks again!

1080Wayne

You can get by with 2 1/4 for the twist and 2 1/2 for the click if you are careful drilling . The tubes on both of these can be shortened by nearly 1/4 inch from the above and still make a functional pen .

EricJS

You can get by with 2 1/4 for the twist and 2 1/2 for the click if you are careful drilling . The tubes on both of these can be shortened by nearly 1/4 inch from the above and still make a functional pen .

Great! I've been measuring this board (some of the best coloring & figure I've seen) but I don't want any waste. It looks like I'll be safe to make these cuts.:biggrin:

Thanks again!

ldb2000

Careful on shortening the tube length on the click versions of these pens , the length of the tube is very critical if you want your pen to work correctly . You can shorten them but you have to remove the little metal thingie and cut the tube to 1.88"

Last edited:

DozerMite

Banned
Careful on shortening the tube length on the click versions of these pens , the length of the tube is very critical if you want your pen to work correctly . You can shorten them but you have to remove the little metal thingie and cut the tube to 1.88"

You can shorten the click version to any length between 1.88" and the 2.42" .
You just have to shorten the metal pin to match.
I've done this to several pens for people with different sized hands. They claim it is better balanced at a certain length for them.:confused:
Since they are the one spending, I always try to accomodate.

ldb2000

You can shorten the click version to any length between 1.88" and the 2.42" .
You just have to shorten the metal pin to match.
I've done this to several pens for people with different sized hands. They claim it is better balanced at a certain length for them.:confused:
Since they are the one spending, I always try to accommodate.

This is quite true , I have done this a number of times to accommodate blanks that were a little too short but the stock kit length is IS very critical . I personally prefer the shortened versions since customers always seem to loose the little metal pin .

Top Bottom