Sierra Nib Slop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chriselle

I like the Sierra.. BUT, I've always thought the amount of slop in the nib of the Sierra has been excessive. It's either the Parker style ink cartridge shaft is too small in diameter or the nib hole is too large. Either way, I've always been apprehensive of selling them for this reason. Well, it has happened.....a customer has complained about it.

On some of the Sierras that I've kept for myself I've just stretched out the spring a bit and it helps but no....that's not an answer. Some component sets are passable but most fail and these are from all kinds of sources.

Anyone else not entirely pleased?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Pm

I like the Sierra.. BUT, I've always thought the amount of slop in the nib of the Sierra has been excessive. It's either the Parker style ink cartridge shaft is too small in diameter or the nib hole is too large. Either way, I've always been apprehensive of selling them for this reason. Well, it has happened.....a customer has complained about it.

On some of the Sierras that I've kept for myself I've just stretched out the spring a bit and it helps but no....that's not an answer. Some component sets are passable but most fail and these are from all kinds of sources.

Anyone else not entirely pleased?
I sent a pm with a suggestion.

dmott

Why a pm?

I make the cabara pen a lot which uses the parker, and it has this same problem. Sometimes you do not notice, and at other times when you hold the pen exactly the wrong way it's so bad you can hear it clicking as the ink cartridge bangs the nib.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Vendor

Why a pm?

I make the cabara pen a lot which uses the parker, and it has this same problem. Sometimes you do not notice, and at other times when you hold the pen exactly the wrong way it's so bad you can hear it clicking as the ink cartridge bangs the nib.

Because I sell pen kits, responses to questions that mention products that I sell or have a business relationship with someone else who sells are not allowed.

Last edited:

chriselle

Upgrading to better refill ie..the easyflow 9000 is slightly better but that's the refill I supply in all my pens. The pen the customer has is loaded with the 9000.

SCR0LL3R

Why a pm?

Yeah, It is annoying and makes the pen feel cheap.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is interesting, to me. I have had customers (pen makers) complain that the 9000 will not fit through the nib on some.

Do you suppose there is that much difference from one refill to the next? Or are the pens that much different? Again, because so MANY kits are called Sierra---it is impossible to tell if we are describing the same "kit". (I know of three sources--"manufacturers"---who call their pens "sierra"---we would not expect them all to be using the same "spec sheet" to manufacture)

dmott

Well I have bought all of my stuff from Rockler so far, and I think they have all had the same "problem." I have not made their Sierra yet though.

I wouldnt necessarily call it a problem, like I said, at times you dont notice it.

Good to hear that the Easy Flow is a little thicker; Ive been wanting to try those out.

Whaler

I buy all of my Sierras from Bear Tooth and have never had that problem. I have a dozen assembled right now and I just checked them all with both a kit refill and an easy Flow, no problem in any of them.
As Ed said not all Sierras come from the same manufacturer.

chriselle

Let me add that the problem is particularly noticeable when writing in Japanese because of the stroke-stop-lift-stoke style of writing. English is much more flowing in its style so less of an issue. For a test try writing a bunch of consecutive small x's or t's....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxttttttttttt. Write them really small.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

Let me add that the problem is particularly noticeable when writing in Japanese because of the stroke-stop-lift-stoke style of writing. English is much more flowing in its style so less of an issue. For a test try writing a bunch of consecutive small x's or t's....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxttttttttttt. Write them really small.

I tried it on about 7 different pens from at least 3 different manufacturers and saw it on only 1.....that one with a standard kit refill. The rest were a mix of standard and upgrade refills.

Top Bottom