Sierra Nib Assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dana Fish

Does anyone know how to to disassemble the Nib section of a Sierra pen kit. I am using the basic Sierra kit from Rockler and would like to remove the black plastic section and replace it with a matching wood. I have heard it been done but I was unable to locate anything in a search.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I was looking fo the pictures I took of the one I knocked apart but they are not on my computor any more. grip the upper piece with pliers witha rag wrapped around it first so as not to damage the upper section. put a dowel or punch down threw the threads, small enough to not ruin the threads for the tranny. tap on the punch until it comes apart. I have actually had one or two come apart while writing with them. If I can find the pictures I wil repost them.

Dana Fish

I guess the one thing I didn't see was what would/did you use to replace the plastic or metal piece with? I'm planning on using wood but not sure how to assemble and keep together without it falling apart down the road.

Any ideas?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
IF you turn the replacement cone out of wood, in your case the black piece. You will will need to drill it to fit over both the nib section and patterned piece. Epoxie or Ca will work. You may find the wood is to thin to work at this point. I will see if I can find those pieces and measure them for you. That way you can decide whether or not to take yours apart
mike

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Ok, the wall of my center cone is .0115 or for all practical purposes 12thousands of an inch. Thats where the cone matches the patterned threaded piece and the nib, the brass piece is a wedge that fits over the nib and aginst the center cone. I dont belive you can do this in wood. With these parts. The nib wall is to thin to turn down. you would have to remake the nib. You have enough material to turn the center patterned piece down to make the wood replacement wall thicker. I need to check on one more thing. I will be right back.
Mike

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I checked and an 8mm tube would work if you can drill the center patterned piece and if you file/sand both the nib cone and 8mm tube until they fit better. the nib cone is just a little large and would press in but might crack your wood piece. In fact as thin as it would be I would bet on it. A 7mm tube will just accept a Parker style refill but will not match the nib cone. If you had a 7mm nib from another kit with the same finish as your Sierra/Wall street kit you you could use the 7mm tube and fit it to the center patterned piece.

Its not impossible to do but you will have to decide on your skill levels and how much you want to do it.
Mike

Dana Fish

Wow... that is definitely stepping out side my skill level. Too bad I had a great idea in my head for my next pen. I guess Ill have to file it away for now and someday maybe I'll get back to it.

Thanks for all the time and efforts.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Not a problem on the time and effort glad to be of some help. There is a way to build this from scratch that you might want to consider as a good project to go outside the kits. You will need a kit with 8mm tubes and tranny and the nib and a Sierra tube. You will need to make the centerband yourself. Wood, Corian, resin what ever. turn it to finished od. then drill it for 8mm tubes. In fact I will do one and do a tutorial with pictures.

Mike

gwilki

Dana: I've done several of them. If you search the show off your pens forum for my threads, you will find two in which I described how I do them. Not the only way, for sure, but not too difficult.

Dana Fish

Dana: I've done several of them. If you search the show off your pens forum for my threads, you will find two in which I described how I do them. Not the only way, for sure, but not too difficult.

Grant: this is just what I am looking for, what a great looking pen!!

attachment.php

Top Bottom