Sierra Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwisher

Has anyone else had an issue with Rocklers Sierra pens? I am having a problem with the collar inbetween the centerband and the tip comming loose. This is the 3rd time I have had this issue. I am wondering if there is a fix for this or is it a common problem? One of them actually fell apart during use. I'd hate to sell one of these and have it come back in a couple months due to this malfunction. Just wondering if this is common or not?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

You are the second or third poster that has had this problem, I believe the answer was to super glue the pieces back together, This seems to happen before the kits get into service (I would hope) in which case it wouldn't damage the sellers reputation just the suppliers.

gwisher

For me it happens after I have used the pen for about a week or so. They seem solid out of the package but upon minor use they fall apart. The one I just made lasted a day! and its just loose and I can't seem to get the whole assembly to come apart to add the super glue.

aweiss44

i saw something about this a few weeks back. the next night i had a sierra right outta the parts bag with the nib part coming apart. as said earlier, in this case it was obvious it was loose right off the bat.

burgerman

I had two different Rockler sierra pens that had issues with the plating on the clip. They both had little sharp points on the clip part that was closest to the center of the pen. I didn't want to try to snap it off with my fingernail or a tool, as then it might "break the seal" as to the plating and a bunch more plating might have come off. Didn't want to file it off either, for obvious reasons. I returned them and got a refund. Won't buy any more sierras from Rockler. I have nothing against Rockler overall, and will continue to shop there - just not for sierra kits.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I don't think I would repair it with super glue (CA), just because it can make the plating "cloud up".

I don't have a better answer, just reservations about that answer.

KenV

Sounds like an application for Loctite Red (271 as I remember) to reassemble.

That is the torch and pliers to remove stuff --- a little goes a long way.

Top Bottom