Sierra disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aldwardo

I gave a Classica, which I believe is the same thing as a Sierra to a friend yesterday. Today he brings it back to me, and while he was playing around with it apparently he pushed the transmission up in to the tube so far that the nib assembly won't screw in to it anymore. Anyone have any idea how to take it apart? I am mostly interested in salvaging the hardware at this point. Thanks!

If it helps here is a link to the assembly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

don't have enough time right now to go looking, but there are several threads about this that will give you more info than you may ever need to know, including several suggestions on getting the tranny out.

search "sierra problem"

jttheclockman

I am not sure how that can be. The tranny screws into the nib. If it is not then the cap wont stay on. If he loosened it and then pushed the cap down further, then just keep screwing the cap down. It will eventually bottom out. It is one of the simpliest innards to a pen and that is why I like them.

Just reread your post and that is what he seemed to have done. Not sure how to fix that one. I will be watching too. My suggestion would be to use the HF punches and push the tranny out the top. Wheather it damages the tranny that I am not sure.

Last edited:

aldwardo

don't have enough time right now to go looking, but there are several threads about this that will give you more info than you may ever need to know, including several suggestions on getting the tranny out.

search "sierra problem"

Thank you very much. I found this thread, and it helped get the transmission out, unfortunately I also managed to gouge the black off the finial while messing with it. Well, I have some spare parts anyway. I used the barrel of a bic pen and screwed it over the threads to remove the tranny for anyone with a similar problem in the future, then it was possible to push out the finial.

I am not sure how that can be. The tranny screws into the nib. If it is not then the cap wont stay on. If he loosened it and then pushed the cap down further, then just keep screwing the cap down. It will eventually bottom out. It is one of the simpliest innards to a pen and that is why I like them.

Just reread your post and that is what he seemed to have done. Not sure how to fix that one. I will be watching too. My suggestion would be to use the HF punches and push the tranny out the top. Wheather it damages the tranny that I am not sure.

The tranny got pushed too far in. I think he must have unscrewed it rather than pull out the whole thing and when he went to assemble it pushed the tranny in too far. He says he was just twisting it back and forth, opening it and closing it. Thanks guys

GoodTurns

he probably unscrewed it, then pushed it back in, forcing the tranny too deep to re-grip the threads...been there, done that with a customer at a show, had to figure out what they did.

Misterturner

I think this is the same problem I had once. If so, here's a potential solution to try in the future. I have a pair of long craftsman needle nose pliers (the small set, not the big ones) and was able to insert them (closed) into the stuck part, then open them and pull it out while maintaining the necessary pressure to keep the pliers in the "open" position - it was very simple, but would have been a nightmare had I not had the right tool.

JerryS

I understand the OPs post but for the life of me I can't understand why customers are using so much force when reassembling the pen . It takes quite a bit of force to push the trans farther in .

I tell my customers to untwist the nib assembly to change refills . As for the pen coming apart from twisting it , I think the customer is using to much force to operate the pen if this is happening . Its a pen not a rusted faucet .:rotfl:

Misterturner

I can't explain what others are doing (and barely can understand what I did when it happened to me). One thing is for sure, I didn't exert any extreme pressure. I think what might have happened and what happens to others is that the top of the pen cartridge interacts with the side of the transmission instead of slipping in where it belongs and as you try to push everything back together to screw it together, the cartridge pushes the mechanism up into the barrel. Then, even with the cartridge properly positioned or removed altogether, you can no longer reach the threads with the nib.

Top Bottom