Sierra Differences?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I am looking at the Sierra black titanium and platinum kit from Berea and the Sierra Elegant Beauty black Ti and Platinum kit from them.

What is the difference other than the price? From some of the pictures, it looks like there might be a different center band, but the more expensive kit has the plain band.

Is there another difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The elegant version has a "relief" cut to the band and is two color (black and silver)
The top band on this version is one "ring"-approx 1/8 wide.

The regular sierra version has the cross-hatch stamping on the bottom band and the top is a "two-ring" design.

It is, truly, a matter of personal preference, as far as I can determine.

So, we offer both.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I had to dig out kits to tell you the diff.

We will be adding some pics by summer with kit comparisons---another "project". There are several that have small differences that are confusing.

Whaler

In this picture the first 4 are Elegant Sierras, then 2 Sierras, 2 Elegant Sierras, 1 Sierra and lastly an Elegant Sierra.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Sierras.jpg
    Sierras.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 338

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Style

I see the differences and they seem more form than substance, and it's the same with others kits as well as Berea's, not a whole lot. My supplier only has a 30 cent difference between them in their retail price so there can't be much difference.

Dagwood

There is also an elegant beauty available that is a little bit shorter and the twist mechanism is up by the clip.

Attachments

• Fproduct1-023.jpg
    Fproduct1-023.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Fproduct1-024.jpg
    Fproduct1-024.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yep

Well Smitty, is that the same supplier that had a 75% failure rate on their plating, recently??
You must mean the one who FIXED a quality problem before it got distributed to 70 or so buyers.....having spent a lot of years working in a factory - they all have problems from time to time, the good ones fix the problems.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Gatsby

There is also an elegant beauty available that is a little bit shorter and the twist mechanism is up by the clip.

That one seems to me to be either a PSI Majestic Squire or a take off on it. The Majestic Squire has the twist the finial advance/retraction action.

chrisk

Yes, really interesting indeed.
Rod, some add-ons relative to the drill size of both the Elegant Beauty and Aero. They both need a 9,1mm or 23/64" drill.
As for the Sierras, I've also seen elsewhere they need a 10,5mm hole but I use a 27/64" or 10,7mm drill bit. This seems to work for me anyway; well as far as Berea's Sierras are concerned.

broitblat

That one seems to me to be either a PSI Majestic Squire or a take off on it. The Majestic Squire has the twist the finial advance/retraction action.

The Elegant Beauty is from Dayacom. It uses a smaller tube (diameter and length) and, as far as I know, came out before both the Majestic Squire and the Sierra Elegant Beauty.

-Barry

Russianwolf

The elegant version has a "relief" cut to the band and is two color (black and silver)
The top band on this version is one "ring"-approx 1/8 wide.

The regular sierra version has the cross-hatch stamping on the bottom band and the top is a "two-ring" design.

It is, truly, a matter of personal preference, as far as I can determine.

So, we offer both.

The clip itself is styled different between the two also.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
OK

The Elegant Beauty is from Dayacom. It uses a smaller tube (diameter and length) and, as far as I know, came out before both the Majestic Squire and the Sierra Elegant Beauty.

-Barry
I was thinking that the Dayacom Elegant Beauty did not have a finial twist....but I could be wrong on that.

ldb2000

-Barry
I was thinking that the Dayacom Elegant Beauty did not have a finial twist....but I could be wrong on that.

Smitty
The Dayacom Elegant Beauty is the orignal "Finial" twist of this style and uses a very robust transmission . Several months after it came out Berea introduced the (Sierra) Elegant Beauty using the the same mechanicals as the regular Sierra but with upgraded platings and a different centerband treatment . The Majestic Squire is also "Finial" operated , it came out much later and is also made by Dayacom but uses different sized tubes and the Majestic style centerband and clip .

Lenny

Rod, Thanks for this!
The subject of all the different Sierras is always one that will make your head spin. This is nice to have as a reference.:confused::wink:
I must say I was surprised to hear the Dayacom Elegant Beauty is considered to be of better quality than the Berea Elegant Beauty. I guess I will have to try some of those sometime. I have only used the Berea and Aero to this point. (and have actually been very happy with them so far):)

Thanks again for sharing!

ctubbs

Rod, thank you for all your research and you sharing it. This is one very well written piece. As mentioned before, please submit this article to TomW for inclusion in the library, it will be of great interest to many here.
Charles

Top Bottom