Sierra conversion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hrigg

I've noticed pens lately that have the black plastic ends replaced with the same material as the pen blank. Can you just knock those pieces off with a punch--which I've tried, unsuccessfully--or are there steps I'm missing? Maybe I just need to get a bigger hammer.;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hrigg

Sorry, thought that was clear. It's the Sierra/Wallstreet II click pens. The stock ends don't permit the ergonomic profiles I prefer to make.

avbill

Harry, I have seen the same thing as you! Your not crazy. There has been pictures of the upper cap ,which is a black plastic being replaced with wood. My only Sierra pen went through the washing machine. I spent a 1/4 of a day cleaning the ink out. I used a 7 mm rod and the brass tip of the cap came off. with two blows of a hammer to the rod.

The interior brass shaft is 11/32" OD so you could replace the black on the cap of the Sierra. The plastic is conical in shape.

Hope this answers your question.

Bill Daniels

railrider1920

I had asked the same basic question a week or three ago. Here is a link that was supplied in my thread.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32625&SearchTerms=sierra

It can be done, but I have found that it is a bit of a pain in the butt. I did the lower section last night. It was a challenge, for me at least. I used long punches to take it apart. There is a metal ring inside the plastic part that got ruined in my case. But I didn't need it the way I put it together.

Someone mentioned that it needed to be step drilled. I didn't do it that way. I just drilled a hole on one end for the connector and a hole for the nib on the other end. That hole I drilled all the way through and used it for the center for the larger hole.
I also made some bushings from corian for this part. The ends wind up being very thin. I don't have digital calipers, but guessing, maybe 1/32 thick on one end and thinner on the other. If I can finish the pen today I'll be posting a picture in SOYP.

Hope this helps some

Top Bottom