Sierra Click Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

You didn't ask for the Gatsby but the Gatsby pencil's tube is 2.246 and the sierra's tube is 2.208. The pencil mechanism is not a Standard Schmidt. It appears to be a slimline mechanism. I would think that the Sierra click is the same...but I can promise that. Maybe someone can answer the question you ask.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Can anyone provide the length of the tube for the Sierra Click Pencil? Does it take the standard Schmidt pencil refills?

Randy_

Can`t help either Lou as I have never bought any yet, the pencil looks very short compared to a click pen.

The tube on the Button Click Sierra pen is 2.423"±; but that includes 0.505" so it can handle the Uni-Ball rollerball cartridge. If you trim off 0.505"(length of the included extension) so the kit will work with the Parker refill without the extension, the tube needs to be 1.918"±. (Note: There are instructions on the AS site that call for a tube length of 1.882", IIRC. Not sure why there is a difference between the instructions and what I calculate. I have not done one of these conversions yet; but it seems the shorter tube length would make the refill tips stick out too far. However, maybe the guy who wrote the instructions likes them that way??) Many folks have mentioned that the shortened Sierra click looks too short and it would be about 1/6" longer than what the pencil would be. Everyone has different preferences so the short pencil might please some people; but I think I would look at using the click pen shortened to "Parker" length and then use the Schmidt pencil cartridge.

Other pencil cartridges have been known to be unreliable whereas the Schmidt cartridge has a very good rep. The new pencil cartridge in the Sierra click is untested "in the real world" and I, personally, would avoid it until it has been used for a while by other Guinea pigs and found to be good or bad.:wink:

PR_Princess

Shane is correct. I do not have a mic here, but by ruler, the Sierra Click PENCIL tube is 1.75 "

The Sierra PEN tube is much longer - over 2", the Sierra Click PEN a bit longer still.

Last edited:
M

Mudder

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Here Lou,

Here is a click pen and a click pencil side by side. The tube for the pen is 2.420 and the pencil tube measures 1.758. It also appears that the pencil mechanism is very similar to that which is in a slimline pencil. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 120

hrigg

I have made three of the shortened Sierra Click pens now, and one SC pencil. Two of the pens have bodies in the 1.92-1.94 range, and the displayed refill tip is within my preference for continuing the line of the pen nib. One pen is 1.88, in keeping with the recommended specifications, and too much of the refill is exposed for my taste. The tip of the pencil mechanism protrudes below the nib. This is the first pencil I've made, so I don't know if that's common. They are identical copper kits, but when the lower fittings are lined up evenly, the nib end of the pen is noticably shorter: 2.058 as opposed to 2.178 for the pencil, without including the exposed tip.

Is the tip of the pencil supposed to stick out like that? Would a Schmidt cartridge be any shorter?

Top Bottom