Sierra Click - how do you like them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzz

The mechanism certainly seems better than other click options. The only thing I don't like is that it is designed for use with a couple of different refills. In my mind it should be one or the other, that little chrome spacer used with the standard Parker refill the kit is supplied with is almost certain be lost by customers.

I have only made up one of them so far, but have others to do. I might shorten the tube and dispense with the spacer.

Randy_

I have heard nothing but good about the kit. In fact, I was just getting ready to place an order, myself, so I am glad to hear there is a sale going on. Thanks for the information!!

Randy_

Originally posted by Buzz

.....The only thing I don't like is that it is designed for use with a couple of different refills. In my mind it should be one or the other, that little chrome spacer used with the standard Parker refill the kit is supplied with is almost certain be lost by customers.

The other possibility might be to glue the spacer to the mechanism, permanently, so it won't get lost. Making a short and a long tube version depending upon the customers preference is also a good idea.

Personally, I like having to option of different refills.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I do not tell the customers that the pen takes one of two different refills. I simply tell them it takes a Parker-style refill and that they should take care not to lose the spacer or the spring. I've been using one of these for a couple of weeks now with a Schmidt easyFlow 9000 liquid ink refill. No problems whatsoever and boy does it write smoothly.

Randy_

Originally posted by DCBluesman

I do not tell the customers that the pen takes one of two different refills. I simply tell them it takes a Parker-style refill and that they should take care not to lose the spacer or the spring. I've been using one of these for a couple of weeks now with a Schmidt easyFlow 9000 liquid ink refill. No problems whatsoever and boy does it write smoothly.

A little idealistic there, Lou. Human beings being the animals they are, accidents are going to happen and those spacers ARE going to get lost regardless of what you tell your customers.

Given that you are deciding for your customers that the pen only takes the Parker refill (or equivalent), seems like it would be easier to just make the body a little shorter and eliminate the lost spacer factor as you ARE going to have unhappy customers come back to you to replace those lost spacers. Of course, if the pen is esthetically more pleasing in its longer form, then a choice must be made. Certainly you could make up a bunch of spare spacers cut from a 1/4" hardwood dowel. You could even supply an extra spacer with each pen you sell; but the chances of the customer having that spare handy when they lose the original is slim to none for most folks.

I do everything I can to anticipate problems and keep customers from coming back to me with said "problems." just seems to me that it is better to eliminate a problem than to hope it won't happen.[^]

fernhills

Originally posted by Randy_

A little idealistic there, Lou. Human beings being the animals they are, accidents are going to happen and those spacers ARE going to get lost regardless of what you tell your customers.

Given that you are deciding for your customers that the pen only takes the Parker refill (or equivalent), seems like it would be easier to just make the body a little shorter and eliminate the lost spacer factor as you ARE going to have unhappy customers come back to you to replace those lost spacers. Of course, if the pen is esthetically more pleasing in its longer form, then a choice must be made. Certainly you could make up a bunch of spare spacers cut from a 1/4" hardwood dowel. You could even supply an extra spacer with each pen you sell; but the chances of the customer having that spare handy when they lose the original is slim to none for most folks.

I do everything I can to anticipate problems and keep customers from coming back to me with said "problems." just seems to me that it is better to eliminate a problem than to hope it won't happen.[^]

I don`t know why we should be responsible for anyone who loses the pen parts we sell for a pen. You don`t need the part if you go to the uniball refill.If you change parts and some parts are eliminated you should hold on to the part if you you want to go back to the original that was sold to you. We buy cars and we get codes and secret gizmo's to unlock things,you lose they say your fault,pay here.. Carl

Gulfcoast

The brass tube could be shortened to use the "Parker" refill without the adapter, or the brass tube could be left at the original length using the "Uniball" refill. The result would be two different length click Sierras to offer.

Joe

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Randy_

It's interesting to read how your perpsective is not only different from everyone's, but also better than anyone's.

I am not deciding for my customers, but deciding for myself. Customers have a right to buy or not buy based on the product I offer. They also have a right to modify the use at their discretion as long as they do not expect me to support their modification.

I have no idea how many pens you have sold, but I can tell you that I have sold hundreds. I have yet to have one come back. I sell Parker-style ballpoints and no one has found the need to ask for a replacement spring. I use to sell Cross-style pens with loose center bands and I've never had a customer ask for a replacement for a lost one. Maybe my target customer is a bit more careful than your target customer.

In terms of making the pen a little shorter, that's a possibility, but for now I like the proportions. In terms of the replacement spacers, the kits come with a spare. I keep these in my parts box just in case someone does lose the part. I warrant my pens for three years and if a customer has a problem I repair, replace or refund without question. I also have a boatload of repeat customers.

Randy_

It's interesting to read how your perpsective is not only different from everyone's, but also better than anyone's.
So who put a burr under your saddle, Lou?? It is hard to see how my perspective is so different from everyone's since there are several others who have also suggested that a shortened barrel was a smart way to eliminate a potential problem. And, clearly, selling a customer a pen where there is no possibility of losing a part "IS" a "BETTER" alternative even if you can't recognize it as such.

.....I am not deciding for my customers, but deciding for myself.....
That is just not true!! According to your own words, you do not tell your customers that the pen can be used with one of two different refills. Without the knowledge that the refill option is available, you have effectively dictated that the pen be used with the Parker refill. Some of your customers might very well prefer to use the other refill; but won't because you have not fully informed them of the options available. Hardly possible for your customer to choose to user the uni-ball refill if they don't know that option is possible.

.....Maybe my target customer is a bit more careful than your target customer......
I'm sure most of your customers drive a new Mercedes and most of mine drive six year old pickups. Your very subtle implication that my customers are somehow inferior to yours is very offensive, rude, elitist and totally lacking in class. I expect that any of your customers who lose a pen part just throw the pen away and buy a new one. I am very happy you have such a high class of customer......not all of us are so fortunate.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
No burr, Randy. It's just that I and quite a few others on the site are tired of you telling us how we do things wrong. By all means, tell the world how you do things right, but I'm sick of you criticizing me.

pentex

just a quick question. are you saying that you can use the click pen kit with a regular sierra pen kit and just leave the chrome spacer off? think I will go try this and see wat happens. Thanks.

Ligget

Originally posted by pentex

just a quick question. are you saying that you can use the click pen kit with a regular sierra pen kit and just leave the chrome spacer off? think I will go try this and see wat happens. Thanks.

Harold I have never tried this, just a thought though!

It would be great if it did work, cause there are problems with getting spare click tubes. Let me know if you try it!:D

pentex

Well, I tried to use a regular sierra tube with the click pen leaving off the chrome spacer and it did not work. Will have to try something else.

Randy_

Why not. What was the problem?? I'm guessing the standard Sierra tube is way too short. Even if you leave out the spacer, there still needs to be more length available for the click mechanism which does not exist in the standard version.

You could certainly take a standard tube and cut it in half and make a body of the proper length if the OD/ID are the same. (I don't recall anyone posting the dimensions of the click tube.) But that is a lot of work and seems like it would be just as easy to simply cut off the click kit by an amount that equals the length of the spacer. Of course, if you are trying to "save" a click kit where the tube is damaged, then the split tube trick might work??

el_d

I recieved my PSI Catalog and they have a Sierra look-a-like called the Gatsby. On the back cover the description of the click states that the same tubes can be used that are used for their twist gatsby. Does anybody know if the gatsby is a renamed sierra?

They also have a click polaris.......

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by el_d

I recieved my PSI Catalog and they have a Sierra look-a-like called the Gatsby. On the back cover the description of the click states that the same tubes can be used that are used for their twist gatsby. Does anybody know if the gatsby is a renamed sierra?

They also have a click polaris.......
Same thing, different company.

Randy_

I saw that, too. Hard to understand how it is possible; but PSI has some very clever and innovative people working for them. I just wish their quality was a little better. I may have to place an order just to see how they do it. :D

pentex

The Gatsby is the same as the Sierra. You cannot use the same tubes for the click pen and the twist pen. The click pen tubes are longer. Also, tried to order the Polaris click pens and they are out of stock and don't expect them to be in until May 30th.

Top Bottom