Sierra Click Blank on a Sierra Twist Kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

Has anyone put a Sierra Click blank onto a Sierra Twist kit? I ordered some carbon fiber ready-to-turn blanks, but inadvertently ordered the click version rather that the twist version that I need. I could cut the blank down the .210" difference, but I'm wondering if it might just be easier to turn it as is and slip it onto a Sierra twist kit. Looks feasible, but just wondering if their are some pitfalls I'm not seeing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I think the question is, "Do you have to shorten it, or can you leave it the original length??"

I don't know the answer, I THINK it would work, but soon someone will give you an authoritative yes or no.

(May not be right, but it WILL BE authoritative!!)

ldb2000

Since the active components of the twist Sierra is separate you won't have to worry about the refill extending and retracting to the correct length but the extra length of the blank might not allow the activator to fully engage the transmission . I would suggest that you cut the blank to the correct length .

Bobalu

Since the active components of the twist Sierra is separate you won't have to worry about the refill extending and retracting to the correct length but the extra length of the blank might not allow the activator to fully engage the transmission . I would suggest that you cut the blank to the correct length .

Just as a test, I took a Sierra twist and pulled the upper barrel out about a quarter inch. That would simulate what things would be like if the blank were longer. It's not getting full contact with the activator, but the transmission still turns as it should

bruce119

The full length click will work just fine a standard sierra they have a wide range of forgiveness. Almost 1/4" either way and you can also you a standard sierra on a click just by shortening the chrome extension the difference of the 2 tubes.

I do it frequently.

Bobalu

Thanks everyone. Had I only experimented with the regular Sierra twist first, I would have realized there was enough tolerance there. I'll turn it today and post a photo, if I have time. Getting ready for my first craft fair next weekend, and things are really hectic right now.

Top Bottom