Sierra Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Can a standard sierra tube be used on a sierra click pen and then the small adapter be eliminated or is this too short??? Started working on some sierra clicks. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I could easily be wrong but I thought that you could use the short tube but still needed to use the little adaptor but had to cut it shorter too?
For some reason the length of 5mm cut from it rings a bell:confused:

bgibb42

I just cut down the tube that comes with the kit to 1.88". This completely eliminates the need for the little metal extension that come with the kit. I use a tubing cutter because that's what I had close by and then ream the inside to remove the burr that's left behind. Turn and assemble as normal.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I could easily be wrong but I thought that you could use the short tube but still needed to use the little adaptor but had to cut it shorter too?
For some reason the length of 5mm cut from it rings a bell:confused:

That's what I had to do when I used a standard tube for a click pen. Don't know the length I cut the adapter but it was close to half.

jttheclockman

So we are saying if I cut a normal Sierra pen tube to 1.88 it will work in a sierra click without those annoying adapters??? This will then allow me to use a standard parker refill or the one that comes with the kit. Correct????

DozerMite

Banned
So we are saying if I cut a normal Sierra pen tube to 1.88 it will work in a sierra click without those annoying adapters??? This will then allow me to use a standard parker refill or the one that comes with the kit. Correct????

Yes, sir. You've got it...

bgibb42

Correct. As an added benefit to losing the metal extension, the click mechanism has a better feel and smoother operation, IMHO.

jttheclockman

Does anyone have a photo of a sierra click that has been cut down and one that has not side by side.??? I think I saw one cut down and it looks like the clip looks too big on the pen blank. Not proportioned right. Thanks. Not sure I like it. May have to grow on me.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
here is a shortened 1

Attachments

• Allers Pen 00002a.JPG
    Allers Pen 00002a.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 140

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Can a standard sierra tube be used on a sierra click pen and then the small adapter be eliminated or is this too short??? Started working on some sierra clicks. Thanks.
Hi John; Rather than shortening the tube, but still eliminating the chrome adapter, I replace the ball point nib with a "uniball 207 Gel" cartridge.

arw01

oohh a uniball insert in there eh?

Love those uniball pens they sell at costco sometimes, but the plastic is kinda depressing after making my own pens for the last couple of years.

Great to know I can swap it out for a Sierra!

jttheclockman

Hi John; Rather than shortening the tube, but still eliminating the chrome adapter, I replace the ball point nib with a "uniball 207 Gel" cartridge.

That is what I actually have been doing and in fact just bought a bunch more from Wally world . It just seems ashame that these companies can't make that click pen one without all those small parts. They know you are going to loose them that is why they give you 2. :rolleyes: There are soooooooooo many click pens on the market( cheap bics) why couldn't they copy their idea. It is not like it is a huge secret.

The more I look at the sierra cut down it just looses something. I don't know, just one of those things I guess.

JimMc7

John, I agree the clip somewhat overpowers the blank on the short version but I still prefer it over the longer click. Short version is also a better match for the Sierra click pencil if you make a pen/pencil set.

One last thing: I think the Sierra click springs are a bit weak and even with stretching the pen seems to have a "too loose" click operation. Wood-N-Whimisies sells replacement springs for Parker style refills and these are much stiffer in my experience. At only $0.15 each, I replace all the Sierra click kit springs with those from W-N-W. Replacement springs are about 2/3 down on this page (item XPARKSP):

http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/pparts.html

Short version click and Sierra click pencil (per kit instructions -- 1.77" tube) FYI, too:

IMG_6475.jpg

Top Bottom