Sierra circuit board pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Just in the last couple of weeks I have had two customers bring their computer circuit board pens back to me to fix. Both have the identical problem. The lower end that twists to expose the point has become loose and sometimes spins in the blank instead of exposing the point.

In reading through the forums I notice that others have had transmission problems with that particular kit. I have a few questions;

1. Is there another kit that would fit the computer blanks turned for the sierra that would be better?

2. Has anyone come up with a fix that they would be comfortable giving back to a customer?

I have a good number of the pens out in circulation and don't want customers to think I sold them an inferior product and I have about 10 completed ones in inventory and would just as soon switch them out for another kit, but I would like to use the same blank.

I thought about putting new refills in the two that came back and epoxying the parts back together. But when the ink runs out the pen would be useless. Any ideas?

Willee

Just in the last couple of weeks I have had two customers bring their computer circuit board pens back to me to fix. Both have the identical problem. The lower end that twists to expose the point has become loose and sometimes spins in the blank instead of exposing the point.

It is hard to understand from your description why your pens are failing or exactly where ... but here goes ...

On a a Sierra style pen the upper end of the transmission tube fits tightly into the cap part of the pen and that is what turns the transmission when the body of the pen is twisted.
Unlike the American Classic style pen it will slip before it damages the transmission if twisted to far.
If it is slipping there perhaps slightly deforming the top tube of the transmission so it has more friction would fix it.

If the brass part of the transmission is slipping in the part that it is pressed into then epoxy might fix it.

If the transmission has problems working when the body of the pen is removed then the transmission itself is damaged.
Anyone can damage the transmission by twisting it past its limits when replacing the refill.
I think you can replace just the transmission if not the whole transmission assembly would need to be replaced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom