Sierra Button Click Chrome Extension Question??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I was looking at the little spacer tonight in responding to another thread and discovered something that no one has mentioned previously to the best of my knowledge.

I tried to stick the little tit on the extension into the end of a Parker Gel refill. It would "NOT" go in all of the way. Only about half of the tit would go into the refill so the effective length of the two pieces is longer than it should be. Yikes!!!

Well that got me to wondering/worrying so I checked some other refills that I had handy and what I discovered is a little scary. I found that some of the generic refills would accept the extension and some would not. I can accept that as I don't expect generic anything to be as good as the original. But what was quite unsettling is i found some Parker brand standard refills that would not accept the extension!! That obviously is a potential serious problem. The refill you sell with your kit could fit just fine; but the client might buy a replacement refill months later that won't work with the extension and most likely will assume that the pencrafter screwed up somehow. This is something every Sierra pencrafter is going to need to deal with and warn there customers about.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

You can fix it by either shortening the pen to use Parker refills only, or supply the Uniball refill and not mention the parker refill.

rjwolfe3

I drilled maybe 1/16" deeper in my Parker Gel refill to fix the problem on my personal pen. I have no idea what to do if I sell one of these except to tell my customer what to do or make the extra extension that comes with the kit shorter and include it. Or just buy a bunch of the longer refills, which in my opinion should be included in the first place, and replace them when I sell them. Just a thought.:D

el_d

I got click kit but messed up the tube. All that was available at the time was the twist tubes, so I used a twist TUBE with the Sierra CLICK kit with out modifying the PEN TUBE. Instead I cut about 3/8 off a Uniball refill. The refill I used had the extra plastic to cut without affecting any other part of the "ink plug" in the refill.
This is my wifes personal pen so its not a big deal. I replaced the tube once they became available but my wife liked the feel of the smaller sierra. She said I should make the that size and offer the Uniball refills that have the "Check Fraud prevention" ink as a consumable to keep the customer coming back. When they need a new refill, I give/send it to them free of charge with some pics of some new pens.......
Still thinking about that.....

Randy_

Originally posted by el_d

I got click kit but messed up the tube. All that was available at the time was the twist tubes, so I used a twist TUBE with the Sierra CLICK kit with out modifying the PEN TUBE. Instead I cut about 3/8 off a Uniball refill. The refill I used had the extra plastic to cut without affecting any other part of the "ink plug" in the refill.
This is my wifes personal pen so its not a big deal. I replaced the tube once they became available but my wife liked the feel of the smaller sierra. She said I should make the that size and offer the Uniball refills that have the "Check Fraud prevention" ink as a consumable to keep the customer coming back. When they need a new refill, I give/send it to them free of charge with some pics of some new pens.......
Still thinking about that.....

Lupe: That could get expensive if you sell a significant number of pens and somewhat inconvenient for customers since they would have to wait for several days to get a refill instead of being ably to immediately run down to the local Wal-Mart store.

Given that you like the shorter length, you might want to consider a slightly different approach. Cut off the Sierra tube (either the standard tube of the click tube) to 1.882". This will result in a pen that will will accept a Parker refill without need for a spacer. I'm not sure since I don't have a new uni-ball refill handy; but I think you could cut it off short enough so it would work in the pen as well.

If you have a Parker refill around compare its length with the length of the ink plug in the uni-ball and let us know if this is a possibility. You can do this with the G2 refill; but it is real close. You get into the grease plug above the ink just a little; but the ink column is undisturbed. Thanks

el_d

Hi Randy,
I compared the two refills and you would have to cut appr. 9/16in. off the Uniball to make it the same size as the parker. You do get into the grease plug but you will stil have about 1/2inch of the grease plug intact.
I figured if I was going to haven to cut something to make it fit I'd rather cut a refill.
I dont have any clicks out but just a thought........

Top Bottom