Sierra Alternative

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I'm loosing enthusiasm for the Sierra because if how the lower end is twisted to extend the ink fill. Which styles allow the finial end to extend the ink fill?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Olsarge

I know the "gatsby" from pen state operates that way. Not sure if any of the other suppliers have them or not. I always liked the bottom twist.

SDB777

It does become 'confusing' if you have a few different types of these pens...
Pick a pen up and play the 'which-end-does-it-twist-from' game!

Scott (still like the Sierra though) B

Shock me

+1 on the LeRoi v2 from Smitty's

Finial twist, but more importantly to me, uses a 3/8" drill rather than 27/64".

As both conventional Sierra and LeRoi v2 are turned to 0.474" at both ends, the LeRoi V2 leaves a blank thickness of 0.049" vs 0.016", over three times the amount of material.

Reverse painting is less critical (granted some blanks improve with well chosen painting), and some materials can be tricky to turn so thinly.

I do, however, prefer the centerband of the conventional Sierra because it is flat where it meets the blank. The LeRoi uses rounded rings at the center (matching the blank/finial junction). I find it harder to judge the precision of my fit against the rings.

Last edited:

Janster

I sale Le Roi pens more than any other. V2, old style doesn't matter they flew out of my portfolio.

Me too. But in all honesty, I buy more pens from him (Smitty) than anyone else! I like em', specially the V2. Be well......Jan

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Sierra Elegant Beauty (sometimes marketed as Lucida) has a finial end twist. It's a nice pen, too.

I just had a look at some pics of Le Roi Elegant and it appears to be the same as Sierra Elegant Beauty and Lucida (although I haven't checked dimensions, barrel size etc)
It is the same finished size (both length and girth) as the Sierra Elegant Beauty but it is finial operated rather than Barrel Operated. You can turn it with Sierra bushings and use the same Drill bit. The Tube is a very small amount (maybe 1/64th in.)shorter. It is more sensitive to tube length than the barrel twist Sierra.

Last edited:
Top Bottom