Which Sierra?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

I have some very high end Sierra sized blanks. I want to be careful about which Sierra kit to use with them. I know there's a lot of talk about the "Sierra Knock Offs" being inferior. So, the question is . . . which Sierra manufacturer have you found to have the best quality?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

I have used "original" Sierras purchased from Ernie (BT) and found them to be good. I've also used the so-called Sierra knock-offs (Diplomat & Gatsby) and found these to be equally good.

Lenny

I can't speak to some of the issues that had been discussed but for my $$$ there is only one I REALLY like and that's the Berea Elegant Beauty! fwiw

Russianwolf

Now this is just my opinion.

I have stopped making any of the Sierra and clones. I've switched over to the Elegant Beauty (from Aaron)/Aero (from CSUSA). The design of the kit it better in terms of transmission placement (in the finial instead of in the middle). It is very tube length sensitive but I don't see this as a big problem.

The problem that I and others have had with the Sierra's is people will lose the tranny in the top of the pen and send it back. Yes it's retrievable, but a pain to deal with. The EB/Aero (also the Squire and Art Deco from PSI) doesn't have this problem. If they move the tranmission on the Sierra's I might come back.

jttheclockman

Mike summed it up very well. Any of the Berea sierras will do fine also except as was mentioned. What I have been doing and is working fine and that is to add a little blue locktite to the threads of the tranny and using a pair of pliers to tighten. I explain to customer to again use the plier to replace the refill.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Gatsby

Now this is just my opinion.

I have stopped making any of the Sierra and clones. I've switched over to the Elegant Beauty (from Aaron)/Aero (from CSUSA). The design of the kit it better in terms of transmission placement (in the finial instead of in the middle). It is very tube length sensitive but I don't see this as a big problem.

The problem that I and others have had with the Sierra's is people will lose the tranny in the top of the pen and send it back. Yes it's retrievable, but a pain to deal with. The EB/Aero (also the Squire and Art Deco from PSI) doesn't have this problem. If they move the tranmission on the Sierra's I might come back.

Gatsby from PSI and G Series from me do not have that problem either.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Gold TN/Black TN

I think any of them will be fine if you use Gold TN/Black TN plated kits. I like the PSI Gatsby style better than Sierra...look about the same on the outside but the Gatsby does not have the transmission problem the Sierra has..and that problem is due to the design so any Sierra can have it regardless of the Vendor.

Top Bottom