Showpiece pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

If you were going to make a showpiece pen. Something that showed your skill and something you felt like would appeal to the general pen buying public....what would you make? Something that wasn't over the top, but something that would be considered higher end. Not a $1000 pen. Something reasonable.

What kit and plating? What blank? Something segmented or unique or something from a single material? Wood, acrylic, M3, TruStone, a feather, some antler or horn, snakeskin ?????

Just curious as to what different people would make. Hopefully a wide variety of answers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

If I were going to make a show piece, not something over the top, I would likely make a double closed end Jr Statesman from swirl Bakelite on top and hand selected alabaster on the bottom.

Bakelite is a well respected material of most pen collectors. A closed end Alabaster bottom proves that you know what you are doing. The Jr Statesman uses a classic clip (almost identical to the Triton) and a very simple and "un doo dahed" centerband.

I would finish the pen with a Bock, Music, Heritance or Bach extra fine steel nib and fill it with Private Reserve Velvet Black ink. I'd bet it would sell quick. DAMHIKT:)

randywa

I like the Jr. Statesman roller ball in black ti and rhodium with a nice burl. It may not be every ones idea of a show piece, but they do grab attention.

broitblat

I guess it depends somewhat on your audience. For a classically minded audience I'd lean toward a Jr. Gent FP in Rhodium out of Bakelite or Ebonite. For customers more interested in showing off -- Jr. Statesman in TruStone or Burl/Resin. Closed-end would be a nice touch for either of these.

-Barry

jbswearingen

I don't have one yet. I'm too "new" to it. I did, however, turn my favorite pen so far this evening--a maple burl with bark inclusions and Gevalia coffee/CA filler for voids. It's a cigar style pen. Only flaw? The ends aren't perfectly flush with the fittings. They're *just* barely proud of them. Argh!

Top Bottom