Show pens or work pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the pen kits from, say, Berea and CSUSA, just for 'show' pens or are the platings on the better kits actually durable enough for day to day use over several years? Can anyone speak from experience from their own personal pens or customer feedback and return business?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

I have been using a cigar pen from csusa for at least 1 year off and on and had no problems with the platings.
I now use a baron pen just because thats the one i made with the catus blank from mesquiteman.

i have yet to have a complaint from anyone about the platings on the pens. i have used woodturnigz, csusa, woodcraft and arizona sil pen kits.

mrcook4570

Platinum, rhodium, chrome, and any of the titanium platings are all very durable. I've not noticed any wear on any of these and have not had any returned. I can't say the same about the other platings.

its_virgil

All of the pen kits from the three major manufactures are about the
same... plating wise, at least. Titanium gold is very very durable as are the kits in platinum,
iridium, rhodium, chrome, black titanium,... The kits in black enamel
will scratch..enamel is paint. The 10K, 18K 22K gold kits will wear
and show brassing very quickly, even from the manufacturers who coat
the gold with epoxy or other treatments. Sterling silver is an
excellent choice..but there are two grades if I remember correctly.
I've not used any, but the rose gold kits have not received good
reviews from friends who have use those kits. The satin kits have had
mixed results for me. I don't like the sating gold or satin pearl..it
scratches, or it has for me. But the satin nickel and satin silver
have been quite successful and I like them. I carry a satin nickel
daily and have for over a year and it is showing no wear. Both CSUSA
and Berea have platings explanations on their websites. I don't sell
any gold pens except titanium gold unless a customer wants a pen that
does not come in titanium gold. The customer is told of the
wearability issues and understands there will be no replacing of the
pen due to brassing. I do think that the Berea upgrade gold is beter
than most non titanium gold kits. To answer you question...the pen
kits we use are quite good enough to make pens for daily use or for
"show" pens. I'm not sure what that means...I show all of my pens to
as many people as I can... I think you mean to put in a place of
prominence and just display them. In that case, the cheaper gold will
do just fine. Finally, I've found the chrome kits to be excellent
kits for both using and showing. I do consider Berea and CSUSA to be the better choices as far as kit quality, but platings...they are pretty much equal. That's how I see it. I'm sure others will disagree and have their own preferences.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

gerryr

I've been using a Sterling Silver plated Baron FP as my daily writer for more than a year and there is absolutely no indication that the plating is wearing off. I would also echo what Don said about platinum, rhodium, gold and black ti, chrome and satin nickel. The only 24K kit that I use is the PSI PKMONTPAR and I haven't used it long enough to really know how it holds up. I know some people claim the PSI 24K gold plating is pretty long lasting.

Rifleman1776

I support Virgil's statements.
As for 24K, I have personal pill bottle key ring in 24K. With daily use, it didn't take long to show wear and not much longer for most of it to be gone. My early pens, mostly slims, are going at clearance prices. I now make nothing that doesn't have a titanium, or equivalent, type finish.

Dusty

Am I wrong? I have always thought that Sterling silver was not a plating, but solid silver. and silver plate was just that, a plating.
Dusty

hrigg

Sterling silver is an alloy...usually silver and copper, but I believe it's as close as you can come to pure silver and have something that's workable. Fine silver is too soft to have much practical use. There's several different levels of plating, but I don't know what percentages are involved. I believe a lot of sterling silver flatware had silver plated steel working surfaces because the sterling was also too soft for things like knife blades.

Mikey

The sterling silver pens are plated and IIRC, I was told that they were something like 20 micron thick. (the Berea type kits) I just spoke with Larry a week ago and he was showing me a new pen they are going to sell in sterling silver. I believe he said it was something like 80 micron plated. Either way, they are just plated, because as the previous poster said, solid silver is just too soft.

Rifleman1776

Sterling is 92.5% silver and the balance copper. It is harder than pure silver and is the jewelry standard. But, it is still kinda soft. I'm surprised it holds up well for pens. I've never used SS for pens sticking with rhodium and such because of durability concerns.

denoto

I agree with not using the 24K. I only use TN finishes Blk & Gold, rhodium, platium.
I made myself a 24k Longwood pen for work, finish is almost completely gone. Had it for about 6 months. My pens at work thought do get abused.

GBusardo

I been using a 10k comfort pen, cherry burl, with out the rubber thingy, for about 6 months now at work and the plating looks as good as when I put the pen together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom