Show me your self made delrin bushings!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just received my black Delrin rods - I bought 6 of them, each is 2 foot long for a total of 12 feet of Delrin (it should last me a while) - now I need to know how to cut and turn it so that I can go without bushings and mandrels.

I think i've seen a pic here somewhere that shows a version that is just cone-shaped or tapered to use with various sized tubes. I assume you put one on each end of the tubed blank and just turn the blank, measuring with calipers as you go, right?

If you could take a picture of how you use Delrin to turn without bushings, and a profile of your delrin bushings/mandrel thingy, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Gregory of SherwoodAppreciateTheHelp Forest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

attachment.jpg

This is what I use to sand and apply CA. The taper isn't overly critical, just about anything around 45-60 degrees is fine. I cut mine 2" long and I have to clean them up with a skew about every 3 pens or so, they last a LONG time. That's a revolving Jacobs chuck on the right.:wink:

Attachments

• zzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzz.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 605

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rick, that is a neat idea and I like it! Do the tapers have to be exactly the same on both rods? Would it make things out of balance if the tapers were different?

TIA,

rherrell

Rick, that is a neat idea and I like it! Do the tapers have to be exactly the same on both rods? Would it make things out of balance if the tapers were different?

TIA,
Cav, I don't measure the angles, I just kinda go by eye. That means that they are not PERFECTLY equal and it doesn't seem to matter, the tubes center themselves just fine.
The advantage to making them this shape is you don't need to make a bunch of different sizes. One size fite all.:wink:
I do make my own regular metal bushings for the initial turning. I get down to about .010" over with the regular bushings and then switch for the final sanding and finishing.

DurocShark

I use scrap wood for the same purpose. Plus I can use a parting tool to clean up the CA from the ends and not worry about destroying the tapers. I can toss 'em and make another set in seconds.

Greg,
I've shipped a lot of Delrin to the oilfields around the world, but don't remember where my clients were buying it. Where did you get yours??

Azmandus,

Got mine here:

smallparts.com

Delrin Acetal Rod, Black Color, 3/4" Diameter 24" L $5.51

I had ordered 6 rods, they had 1 on hand and shipped it immediately, then 2 days later they shipped the others. They were great.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Cav, I don't measure the angles, I just kinda go by eye. That means that they are not PERFECTLY equal and it doesn't seem to matter, the tubes center themselves just fine.
The advantage to making them this shape is you don't need to make a bunch of different sizes. One size fite all.:wink:
I do make my own regular metal bushings for the initial turning. I get down to about .010" over with the regular bushings and then switch for the final sanding and finishing.

Thanks, Rick. I'll have to give that a try.

Rick,
made mine last night just like yours. Works great for finishing! It didn't seem to have enough grab/traction for turning. How tight do you bring in your tailstock to get it to keep spinning while cutting?

THANKS!
Greg

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Rick & others, I not sure I understand why or what you are using the Delrin rod as bushing for. Also what is special about this rod materail that makes it ideal for pen turning?

Thanks for your explenations,
Pat
Lexington, SC

ldb2000

Rick & others, I not sure I understand why or what you are using the Delrin rod as bushing for. Also what is special about this rod materail that makes it ideal for pen turning?

Thanks for your explenations,
Pat
Lexington, SC

Pat , they are using Delrin , it's a type of plastic that CA don't stick to , to make cone shaped bushings for finishing the pen tubes with CA . They are used without a mandrel , between centers , for final sanding and finishing .

rherrell

Rick,
made mine last night just like yours. Works great for finishing! It didn't seem to have enough grab/traction for turning. How tight do you bring in your tailstock to get it to keep spinning while cutting?

THANKS!
Greg
Greg, if you read my answer to Cav I mention that I use my metal bushings for the initial turning and switch to the Delrin centers for the sanding and finishing only.

Greg, if you read my answer to Cav I mention that I use my metal bushings for the initial turning and switch to the Delrin centers for the sanding and finishing only.

Rick, I caught that, I thought maybe you would know how others do it. I should have asked the question to the general populace... I've read others get it to work for them. I guess I can start another post or fumble with <search> for awhile.:eek:

Top Bottom