Shorter Cross Style Ink

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I am wanting to make a couple of short custom pens, but I hate the cheapo ink that comes in the mini pen kits from PennState.

I am thinking I want to use a slimline transmission and just shorten the top and bottom, but would need a shorter ink cartridge that would still thread in.

Does anyone know of a source for something like this?

I would also be interested in a source for short length kits that write well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Would your design not work by NOT pressing in the tranny as far, thereby requiring a shorter bottom tube, and then making the top barrel any length you want it to be?

I know, first hand, that finding QUALITY mini refills is next to impossible.

PenMan1

You can make a "mini" by using two top european tubes. Just be careful to put the transmission to the right depth. Then, you can still shorten the top tube to the point right before it touches the clip button. It you need to make it even shorter, you can gain another 1/8 inch by shortening the clip/fenial button.

I have made Cross type pens not much longer than a golf pencil.

Fibonacci

My current plan is to take a slimline and just shorten the tubes as much as I think I can get away with.

I have removed about 3/16" from the bottom tube and 3/8" from the top tube before. I think I can go more on both if I am careful.

I will look at the euro tubes as well. I need to find a source for full length tubes to cut down for experimenting.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Remember one of the things people look for, as they buy hand-made pens is a "standard" refill.

As you modify if the refill becomes "custom", good luck selling the pen.

Just a FWIW!!!

Fibonacci

I am looking to make two of them for my nieces that are 6 and 4. Well, I know the older one is 6, as her birthday was Sunday. I think the other one is 4. My wife would know for sure.

I am making a matched set of Sierras for thier parents and wanted to make them a set of smaller pens. I figure they will probably lose them before running out of ink, but I would certainly stick with a cartridge that is available. I wouldn't mind something uncommon, would not go custom.

nava1uni

Good refills for the mini pens can be purchased. I have used a multiple pen for years and I purchase Zebra refills. Parker also makes refills for a multiple pen that they sell. The kinds of pens that have two colors, pencil or highlighter. Cross makes them also. They all have good ink in them, last long and write nicely.

trapper

Hello w9hen i made some "stumpy pens" i simply pulled the screw top of the top of the cross refill then bored it through (memory tells me 3mm or 1/8 drill bit in apin vice) then cut the metal shaft to the longest that fits your design slide the screw thread back on.
Next make up the lower barrell assembly and fit the trans as usual then fit the refill as normal adjust it so when operated it works properly with the nib. This should give you the right pitch for the refill. Then simply drop a spot of ca on the end of the threaded pastic part to fix it to the metal ink tube. Hope this helps
Steve stephen.french@fmail.net

Chasper

Hello w9hen i made some "stumpy pens" i simply pulled the screw top of the top of the cross refill then bored it through (memory tells me 3mm or 1/8 drill bit in apin vice) then cut the metal shaft to the longest that fits your design slide the screw thread back on.
Next make up the lower barrell assembly and fit the trans as usual then fit the refill as normal adjust it so when operated it works properly with the nib. This should give you the right pitch for the refill. Then simply drop a spot of ca on the end of the threaded pastic part to fix it to the metal ink tube. Hope this helps
Steve stephen.french@fmail.net

Ditto,

Pull out the plastic part, cut off the metal and push the plastic back into the shortened refill. It works for both Cross and Parker style refills. I even make extra refills at the shorter legnth and send them along when I sell a shorter pen.

KenV

"I am looking to make two of them for my nieces that are 6 and 4. Well, I know the older one is 6, as her birthday was Sunday. I think the other one is 4. My wife would know for sure."

All good techniques - but for a couple of girls, I would use one of the small neckless pens -- I usually have a few of the Berea ones around, and put a quick disconnect key chain fitting on the finial end. They will enjoy wearing it -- and may not lose it soon.

Will bet they never run out of ink in the pen--- and as family, they know where to get more refills if needed.

I have been having fair success with the mini refills from schmidt - so I do not go to great lengths to modify cross refills -- especially for very young women of 4-6 years age.

Top Bottom