Shortening a standard Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

Not by choice, though. I'm curious, has anyone ever made a standard Sierra a little shorter than standard? I ask because for the second time, I've had a polyurethane-glued tube shift when the glue foamed and about 1/16" of tube has extended beyond the blank. I can easily square off the blank(s), but I'm curious if there's an issue with doing this. I know we're only talking 1/16" here, but I haven't measured the mechanism yet; if it just fits into the finial, I'm afraid I'll wind up with a gap at the nib end. Thanks for any input.

daniel

bruce119

You can shorten or lengthen the Sierra a good 1/8" or more. Just take you mechanism and stick it into the final to see how far it will go in than measure the the space for the tube. If you go much shorter than a little over 1/8" say a 1/4" then the mechanism will not grab the final and not function. Give it a try before you put it together. No need to press on the brass tube. Just push the mechanism in and measure. The Sierra is very forgiving and not critical. The Sierra click is another story.

Bruce

Top Bottom