Shortening rb lower barrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jzerger

This I'm sure is likely a silly question but :
Is there a disadvantage to shortening the lower tube of rb pen? I assume it's just a matter of measuring the refill and perhaps cutting a bit off the spring. I realize not everyone will appreciate the look... But I think I do. I made a jr Morgan recently and it is a bit shorter than most others I've made and like it...so considering pushing the limits. I'd like the cap and lower barrel the same length if possible without changing the kit other than tube length. Sorry this is so long. Other than looks are there other disadvantages?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

The overall length of the writing end of a rb is dependant on the length of the refill (+ a small amount for the spring) If you change the length of the tube you will have to compensate for the difference by making either the front section or the finial longer . The spring is used to cushion the point as you write and isn't long enough to make any real difference to the length of the lower barrel

magpens

I don't think the spring is long enough to effectively shorten.

Would you consider trying to shorten the rollerball refill by cutting a bit off the top end ?

I am looking at a Schmidt 888 F rollerball refill right now. . There is a little plug in the end which I have successfully removed. . Now I am puzzled by what I see inside. . It looks like the end of a foam stick. . When I push a piece of tissue in with a blunt object, the tissue comes out blackened by the ink.

I think you could shorten the refill, but the process might be a bit messy. . You might lose one or two refills when you are experimenting.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Just do it and show us your results. Do follow Butch's suggestion. I recommend not cutting on a rb refill. I'd be interested in seeing your idea come to completion. Good luck!

magpens

Wow ! . I see from Mr Vic's link that you can buy a Schmidt rollerball refill that is only 3" long .... but look at the price - $11.00 !!!!!

There is a Monteverde which is shorter ( 2 5/8" ) and cheaper ( $3.00 ) but it only fits one pen (the Monteverde Mini Jewelria).

I don't think you want to shorten your pen by THAT much !!!

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
This I'm sure is likely a silly question but :
Is there a disadvantage to shortening the lower tube of rb pen? I assume it's just a matter of measuring the refill and perhaps cutting a bit off the spring. I realize not everyone will appreciate the look... But I think I do. I made a jr Morgan recently and it is a bit shorter than most others I've made and like it...so considering pushing the limits. I'd like the cap and lower barrel the same length if possible without changing the kit other than tube length. Sorry this is so long. Other than looks are there other disadvantages?
Cross makes a rollerball refill that is about 3/8" shorter than typical. 4" vs 4 3/8"....you might look at that.

Last edited:

jzerger

Thanks all for the advice. I prefer not to cut the refill or even use a nonstandard refill.

I'll let you know what I come up with...if anything.
I hope to have time to pay this weekend.
Thanks again,
john

Brian Frank

Shortened Jr. Gentleman II Rollerball Non Postable

An Opps after realizing I drilled the cap blank instead of the pen body blank with the 12.5 mm bit. Once I figured out my mistake I drilled the pen cap blank using the 10.5 mm bit. NO the blank for the Cap wasn't cut long enough to accomodate the true length of the brass for the body. I didn't think about how this would effect how the refill would fit in the pen body. Lucky it was about an 1/8" shortened and by cutting the spring in half it fit like I knew what i was doing.

Attachments

• IMG_5231.jpg
    IMG_5231.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 117
Top Bottom