Short Sierra style tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Is there a sierra style pen which can have the tube shortened by 1/4 inch?

I can segment if I need to, but the idea I'm working with comes up 1/4 inch short. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eliasbboy

The Pensar has a center ring that makes the overall material shorter, but it obviously needs to be in two sections.

il_570xN.515893597_jqnr.jpg

ottotroll

I have had to "shorten" a pen kit.... I had made a segmented pen to resemble a patchwork quilt for a friend, but I could not get the the combined blanks on one end of the barrel to stay on, so I trimmed it off!
I took a Rockler Manhattan bottom and transmission, used the "top" from a Wall Street II (Woodcraft). The headroom in the cap-piece was allowed the other transmission to extend farther. I also had to modify the refill by trimming it down as far as I could (while still maintaining the closure over the cartridge.

I have to warn you, I made it this past winter (when I was home with near pneumonia), so I might have the manufacturers switched, lol.... BUT it did work!

Edward Cypher

Have to try this.

I will have to try this as I really like this pen Kit. Never thought of just replacing the tube. Thanks for the information.

The Pensar has a center ring that makes the overall material shorter, but it obviously needs to be in two sections.

il_570xN.515893597_jqnr.jpg

Actually, if you replace the tube, you can make this a "1 piece" barrel....

MarkD

Smitty can confirm this but I believe the Le Roi Elegant is the same diameter and a bit shorter that the sierra. I'm not sure on the exact length.

toddlajoie

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
According to the library it's more than a quarter of an inch shorter it is 1.89 inches vs 2.21 inches for the twist Sierra. It sound like he is looking for about 2 inches give or take a tad.
I beleive Exotics still has some stock of the "old" style of the Sierra Elegant Beauty Click Pen, which uses a shorter tube (not sure exactly how much shorter, as the only one I have is at work at the moment... The Busings and Tubes Reference PDF in the library should have that info tho...)

Exotic Blanks :: Pen Kits :: Pen Kits (By Type) :: Click Pen Kits :: Sierra (Elegant) Click - Two Tone (Satin Nib) Old Style

eb-sierra-bc600-01.jpg

sbell111

I wonder how much shorter that you could cut down a sierra tube before it became a problem with pen operation.

I'm thinking of those issues where people unscrewed the transmission while the pen was assembled and then pushed it further in while trying to get it back out. There could possibly be 1/4 inch of play room in there, I guess.

Last edited:

toddlajoie

I wonder how much shorter that you could cut down a sierra tube before it became a problem with pen operation.

I'm thinking of those issues where people unscrewed the transmission while the pen was assembled and then pushed it further in while trying to get it back out. There could possibly be 1/4 inch of play room in there, I guess.

That is a GREAT point!! I forgot that the body tube is not a factor between the transmission and the nib, you could certainly take the kit and assemble the nib section with the trans and then press the finial onto the transmission as far as it will go and then measure between the end of the finial and the nib section. That would give you the ABSOLUTE minimum tube length for the kit...

SteveJ

Thanks everyone. I was going to just try to put a segment on the end of the blank, but it seemed so small - so I measured it (I had estimated it before when I asked the question.)

The length I need is actually 2.09" So I only need to shave off about 1/8 of an inch.

Steve

sbell111

Thanks everyone. I was going to just try to put a segment on the end of the blank, but it seemed so small - so I measured it (I had estimated it before when I asked the question.)

The length I need is actually 2.09" So I only need to shave off about 1/8 of an inch.

Steve

You can definitely cut down a sierra tube that far.

sbell111

That is a GREAT point!! I forgot that the body tube is not a factor between the transmission and the nib, you could certainly take the kit and assemble the nib section with the trans and then press the finial onto the transmission as far as it will go and then measure between the end of the finial and the nib section. That would give you the ABSOLUTE minimum tube length for the kit...

That is super simple way to get the minimum tube length. Thanks.

JohnU

The "Elegant Beauty Button Click Sierra" is also shorter. I don't have my calipers handy but with a tape measure it looks right at a 1/4" in difference, maybe a 1/32" or 1/16" more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 96

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Steve
That should be no problem at all.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The "Elegant Beauty Button Click Sierra" is also shorter. I don't have my calipers handy but with a tape measure it looks right at a 1/4" in difference, maybe a 1/32" or 1/16" more.
The library indicates that the elegant beauty click sierra is 1.89 in while a typical Sierra is about 2.25 (some a bit longer) so it would be a little more than a third of an inch shorter

Woodkiller

The pensar(or pluma from woodcraft) is nice but as a 2 tube pen the blank material is pretty darn thin and it doesn't like to be dropped or you will be missing out on a sale and having to fix it later. It is a nice pen tho and feels pretty good.

Top Bottom