Short JR Gent II Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

There is always a first time! After using Gorilla glue to assemble over a few hundred pens I experienced my first tube slipping out of the blank as the glue expanded as it dried. I guess I should have heeded the previous threads that warned of this problem.

The tubes are for a JR Gent II and the lower barrel tube extrudes the end of the blank by 3/32" and the upper barrel by 1/32". Question… how sensitive is the length of the cap and barrel? Can I trim the tubes and still have a functional pen? Or, chuck a prime burl blank and learn from experience.

Anyone with some experience with this little problem I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

azimmer1

yes you can trim the tubes. you will just have a shorter pen. With the lower being shorter, the spring will just put more pressure on the ink barrel.

sefali

I had that happen with Titebond polyurethane glue. I put them in the arbor press, and popped them loose. I glued them back up, and they were good to go.

lwalden

Do you use some kind of adhesive when assembling the hardware? Something like locktite blue or red? This is less critical if the kit you are using is a fountain pen, but if you are using a rollerball, and you're trimming 3/32" off the barrell, the extra pressure from overcompressing the spring will slowly push the fittings apart, and it will be first noticable when the trim rings that butt up to the barrel start to spin loosely. using an adhesive like loctite while assembling the hardware can help.

barrysj

I've done this many times due to chips towards the end of the tube or uneven squaring up caught later...works 99% of the time to trim off the ends but be careful if you do the same with a Fountain tip, they are usually a bit longer and you can bend the nib when screwed in.

zig613

Lyle...

As a normal routine I use blue loctite with all my fittings. With the shortended lower barrel my concern was that you would lose the springy effect that provides a cushion for the nib when you write. That without the cushion it may apply too much pressure on the nib of the refill and cause problems with premature wear.

Thanks everyone for our input.

Chasper

I've had that problem a few times and I solve it by gluing in a short piece of tube on the opposite end. Sand off the tube that is sticking out, then sand the entire blank and tube down to the appropriate legnth.

Top Bottom