Shopsmith owners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasJohn

I hope this is not the wrong place to post this question but if it is, I am not sure where the correct place is. I am going over to look at a used SS tomorrow (Sunday) that a guy has for sale. He said he was the second owner and the unit is about 5 - 6 years old. He has it priced like this in his ad: Shopsmith + Band saw + scroll saw. $600 + $175 + $175. He said that he also has the extension tubes for the "large table" and he has not used either the band or scroll saws. He also said that everything works and there is nothing wrong with it. I know nothing about SS and would like to know if this is a good price. After speaking with him on the phone he sounds as though he may be willing to come down some on the price. Any and all comments or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA Texas John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've had one for about 25 years, have used it for many projects and was glad to have it when I started making pens. The $600 price is very good as long as its in fairly good condition. When I bought mine, it was because I was very space limited and wanted the variety of tools. If I had the space, I would have purchased individual tools, because it is sometimes an inconveniece to reset it when all you need to drill is one blank and want to get quickly back to the lathe, so it does require a little more planning. Other than that, I am overall pleased. Can't comment on the band saw or scroll saw as I don't have those attachments.

Yes, good price ... 600+350 .. get it for 750 and you have made quite a purchase ... Heck, sell the extra accessory (bandsaw or whatever-the-other-thing was) on Ebay ... [:)]

I have two Shopsmiths and leave one in DrillPress mode and the other I can switch from DiscSand back to Lathe in just a minute or two .. Although, I do find myself wanting to AssemblyLineMode when I switch (sand a dozen blanks sets flush before switching back to LatheMode) ...

I really like the variable speed function when it is time to buff / sand / roughturn ...

Chuck Key

Get the serial number off the air vent on the left side of the head stock then you can check the age at:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm

If that is not a public site let me know the number and I will check it for you.

Machines made in 1988 and after will have the date of manufacture on the tag.

Chuckie

DocStram

John .... I'm a SS user also. I have a 500 that was made in 1986. Mine was a real steal at $250. Go check it out. Ask him to run it for you. Find out what model it is. You can do that by checking the serial number at the link in the previous reply.
If it's anything older than a 500 I would walk away. If it is a 500 I would maybe still walk. But, if it's a 510 ... then think seriously about it. Also, be wary of prices on ebay. SS stuff often sells for more thant what you could buy it for new at SS.
I'll be glad to give you my phone number if you want to call to talk about it.
Good luck!

TexasJohn

Thanks to all that responded. As usual I was a dollar short and a day late. I called the guy to tell him I was on the way over to his house and he said someone came by this morning and bought the whole deal and loaded it on a truck. How come I always seem to miss out on the "good deals." I really appreciate all the information you all provided. Thanks much - Texas John

DocStram

Hey John ... think about it like this .... maybe you missed out on a bad deal. Right about now the guy that bought that SS is unloading it from his truck, plugging it in, and wondering why the motor is smoking.

redfishsc

Lol, I sent you an email but obviously didn't need to, somebody took your upcoming burden from you.

It's a handy machine. But it's a terrible pen lathe IMO. The tailstock has way too much slop in it. I have a Delta midi that has a 1/32 or so misalignment between the head and tail, but it **turns better pens** than the Shopsmith in our shop did when I had it dialed in as perfect as I could get it. That, and the SS is just noisy.

Makes a good drill press, occasional bowl lathe, and inline boring machine.

There are others who disagree with me on that. I'm used to being disagreed with, lol, I'm a Southern Baptist.

DocStram

I agree with redfish ....... I gradually found myself becoming disenchanted with my ShopSmih. The tailstock has way too much slop in it. I gave up drilling blanks on the SS because of the play in the tailstock.
By the way red, speaking of being Southern Baptist .... I teach at Mercer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom