Shopsmith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

achennau

Just inherited a Shopsmith Mark V and am trying to figure out what i need to get so i will be able to turn pens. The tailstock is #2 morse taper but not sure what i have to get for the headstock. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kingkeyman

Check the runout in the headstock spindle before you get too invested. I used to recondition shopsmiths on the side, and they almost all had at least .020" runout. Sometimes I could straighten the spindle, but I usually ended up replacing it. You can order one through shopsmith.

kingkeyman

I bought a used mark V and didn't purchase the spindle adaptor, no need for it to attach a Chuck to the headstock.

Are you referring to a lathe chuck, or a drill chuck? I've never been able to find a lathe chuck that mounted directly to the spindle. That being said, I haven't looked for several years.

Krash

I bought a used mark V and didn't purchase the spindle adaptor, no need for it to attach a Chuck to the headstock.

Are you referring to a lathe chuck, or a drill chuck? I've never been able to find a lathe chuck that mounted directly to the spindle. That being said, I haven't looked for several years.

I just bought a Nova G3 chuck that mounts to a 5/8" to screw adapter for the Shopsmith. Is that what you are looking for? Or are you looking for a 5/8" chuck?

kenbu

I recommend the Nova G3 scroll chuck and the headstock adapter for turning and drilling on the Shopsmith Mark V or VII. You can sometimes get these refurbished directly from Teknatool at a good price, or Shopsmith has a special G3 package on sale a few times a year, including a couple of jaw sets and the adapter. For horizontal blank drilling you'll also need an MT2 Jacobs (drill) chuck for the tailstock.

Enjoy!

Ken

Top Bottom