shopfox 1836 cant adjust speed - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default shopfox 1836 cant adjust speed

I purchased a second lather today a SHOPFOX 1836. its runs at around 2500 rpm. p/o replaced the dial but still cant adjust speed..says customer support told him it needs a circuit board.. has anyone had this issue? ... i cant find much via google so i though id ask here before i just bought one

thanks
Ron
rsieracki is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ron

Other than the color of the paint, the Shop Fox 1836 looks remarkably similar to a number of other lathes (Turncrafter, KingCanada, Axminster, et al) . It's likely that they all originated in same factory in China.

Bob of RJBWoodturner (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmm...EdwVsaS7kVwGLw) recently purchased a used Turncrafter, and then found that he had a problem with the speed controller. He purchased a replacement controller from PSI, but then did some experimental troubleshooting on the old box and was eventually able to get it working again. You might want to review the videos where he discusses that process for clues to help in your situation.

Bob's experience essentially reinforces my suspicion - it is likely that there there are relatively simple fixes that can be made to your current controller box. But if you aren't familiar with that technology, and if you aren't comfortable in working on electronics, the easier solution may just be to purchase the replacement controller from the importer.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 61

These lathes with an electronic speed control often have the cheapest potentiometer (pot) available on the speed control. If it fails the speed goes to max or min and can't be changed. Check that first as it is a cheap fix. Unless you are familiar with electricity, UNPLUG the lathe!

Louie; I like Bob's videos. He works safely and to a purpose.

Bob mentions installing a reversing switch on the lathe. CAUTION! If you do this, DO NOT SWITCH FROM FORWARD TO REVERSE WHILE THE SPINDLE IS TURNING!!! Doing so will burn out the Mosfet drive transistors.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrls View Post
Bob mentions installing a reversing switch on the lathe. CAUTION! If you do this, DO NOT SWITCH FROM FORWARD TO REVERSE WHILE THE SPINDLE IS TURNING!!! Doing so will burn out the Mosfet drive transistors.

Absolutely correct!

I added a reversing switch to my Turncrafter, but I mounted it on the back of the lathe where it is especially inconvenient to use - specifically to make sure that I was thinking clearly when I opted to use it.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions. I puchased the lathe from a guy who buys returns by the truck load. He purchased a new dial switch for it but thst didnt help. He claimes they told him only other issecould be the board and its around $75.. consequently i got the lathe for 150 so i cant complain if i get it running as normal for around 200

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
rsieracki is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ron

the importer of Shop Fox lathes is Woodstock International. Their web site implies that they can supply parts, but I couldn't find where to order them. I found a parts list that identified the circuit board for your lathe as part number DZ-236A1.

For what it's worth, the main distributors of Shop Fox lathes appear to be Wally World, K-Mart, and Amazon. My first lathe was a Shop Fox (model 1704).

But as I mentioned, this looks very much like my Turncrafter, or lathes sold by King-Canada and Axminster - all manufactured in China. Your lathe is rated 12x15", with a 3/4 hP motor. PSI sells a 10" swing version with a 3/4Hp motor, and a 12" version with a 1Hp motor.

Bob of RJBWoodturners has the 10" version, and I believe that he said that he was able to purchase a replacement speed control box for under $90. I don't know this for a fact, but I would guess that the PSI box could be used on your lathe. If you can't get any help from Woodstock International, you might try calling PSI - call technical support and ask for Joe Roberts (he's really knowledgeable).
Old 06-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Ron; Does the lathe turn at all?? One other potential problem spot is the fuse holder. They are the cheapest of the cheap. Make sure the fuse block isn't cracked or broken. You might want to check for loose wires and connectors.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads