Shop temperature question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

Can a colder temp in the shop affect acrylic blanks? I have some to turn but they have been in the shop and the temp is 45-50 degrees.

Just wondering.
Lago

Finatic

Here in New England, it's a lot colder, but, I keep my wood and acrylics in a warm part of the house for a few day before I turn them. It takes me about 2 hours to warm the shop up to 60 or so and I find I have less explosions of blanks when the temps are above 60. Works for me anyway.

Here in Michigan it gets cold. Not as cold as RickP in AK, but certainly cooler than folk "down south". My shop is a separate bldg and it's heated but I normally don't heat it overnight. Morning temps in the shop can easily get below freezing. Doesn't take too long to heat up the place but the blanks are in "storage" so it takes a bit longer. Depending on the type of blank, yes, colder temps will affect how they turn. Acrylester, esp, seems to "chip out" more easily with cold temps. But once mounted on the lathe (in the toasty shop) they will come up to temp pretty quick and turn normally.

ALA

I keep a few things like CA, BLO, and other things in a small cardboard box and take it in the house until ready to use again.

Top Bottom