Shop setup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdog

Interested in doing some pen turning. Besides a lathe, what other tools could I put on Santa's wish list. I have a bench top drill press, scroll saw, miter saw and grinder. I was thinking of a bandsaw, bench type. Thanks for the input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

A bandsaw is very handy. You can cut blanks with the chopsaw, but to make blanks out of larger lumber a bandasaw is great.

Don't forget you will also need turning tools. A Wolverine jig or similar will help you keep your tools sharp.

Welcome to the forum, and happy penturning!

Daniel

Besides the Lathe I would say the drill press is the tool with the longest list of criteria to meet. after that I would not want to be without my band saw. there are other ways to make cuts but when you want to resaw those logs you will be coming by it is a jewel.
beyond that are the smaller but in total expensive purchases, Turning tools, Micro Mesh, 20 or 30 various finishing mediums, and of course a large selection of very expensive blanks[:)]
A sharpening system is a must. there are threads devoted to the issue and the systems are not exactly on the low end of the purchasing list. that may well be one for the christmas list this year.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I love my Drill Doctor! Sharp bits make drilling blanks a pleasure. The Drill Doctor won't do brad-point, but it will do 135 degree split-point, which I think is the best grind for drilling blanks. A good set of split-point bits would be nice under the tree too! You can get sets that have up to half-inch by 64ths and letter bits for a reasonable price.

G

Jeff-
You can upgrade the Drill Dr.
They have a model that will do split points.
Contact them and ask about their trade in program.
I did it 2 years ago.
They were very genrous on the credit for the old one.
My wife gave me the $80.00 model and when I inquired about the refurbishment program I was told they had a trade in program.
When you do the numbers it's a no brainer.
The grinding wheels on the other models are user friendley.
the $80.00 model has to be sent back for wheel change.

Link:
http://www.drilldoctor.com/

Fred in NC

Disk sander is very useful. I use to square the ends of the blanks, and also to square up the sides when I do laminations.

It took me a while to find a proper sander. The table for the disk part is very wobbly on many disk sanders. That is because it is held by a single rod sticking out of the main body. In my opinion, this is not good. I found a sander that has the table secured directly to the body at both sides. It came from Harbor Freight, and has a 1" belt sander on it too. ITEM 34951-0VGA, 1'' BELT AND 5'' DISC COMBINATION SANDER, I got it on sale for about $40.

G

Originally posted by Bev Polmanteer
<br />I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a disk/belt sander! I use the disk to touch up my tools and you can use it to square the blanks. I also have a drill centering jig. Just my 2 cents worth.
Bev-
Do you have the jig that holds the glued up tube?
I've read others say that they use a sander for squaring up blanks.
How does it (the sander) compare with a pen mill since a mill squares the end in relation to the tube?

G

Originally posted by whatwoodido
<br />Blank centering jig is definitely a big plus to pen making. But I think you are right in having a bandsaw as next inline.

Drew
Since you have the drill press a centering jig can be made to work with a drill press vice very easily.
No worth $40.00 in my estimation.
2 hardwood blocks With a "V" cut in each one 90* to the base of the block works fine.
Some have used a wooden "F" clamp with the "V" cuts.

I started out using a hand held drill and then went to the centering device. Now I use the centering jig all the time. I was never able to get good square ends with the sander. To me the $40 was worth it, especially for drilling. I had made a little one with a square hole out of a couple scraps of 2x4 before. Now with the jig I can center round stock and stock that is wider one way than the other too.

G

Originally posted by Bev Polmanteer
<br />I started out using a hand held drill and then went to the centering device. Now I use the centering jig all the time. I was never able to get good square ends with the sander. To me the $40 was worth it, especially for drilling. I had made a little one with a square hole out of a couple scraps of 2x4 before. Now with the jig I can center round stock and stock that is wider one way than the other too.]

Do you have a link to the jig you are referring to?
The ones I've seen are aluminum with a hand screw.
Basically a right angle jig.
One that holds tapers sounds different.

C_Ludwigsen

Eagle, I made my own jig to hold the blanks while drilling as well. I'll spend money when I can't make a reliable AND inexpensive homemade alternative. $0.50 beats spending $50.00.

Fred in NC

I enjoy making my own jigs too. I have a few that I have not seen elsewhere. For example, a barrel end SANDING jig, that I use instead of the barrel trimmer. The sandpaper is replaceable, so I don't have to worry about sharpening it. When I get my camera interface problem resolved, I will post a few pics.

G

Originally posted by C_Ludwigsen
<br />Eagle, I made my own jig to hold the blanks while drilling as well. I'll spend money when I can't make a reliable AND inexpensive homemade alternative. $0.50 beats spending $50.00.
I made my own too.Keep aying I'll get around to making one that holds 2 blanks.
The one that Bev is decribing doesn't sound like one I've seen.

tipusnr

Nice vice. I have seen it other places as well. Just wish it had a flap to go over the top corners of the blank to keep it from raising up with the bit without putting enough pressure on the sides of the blank to change the overall diameter of the hole.

G

Bev-
That's pretty much the set up I described earlier.
I have two separate Blocks with "V" cuts at a 45* angle that sit in my machinist vise for the DP.
What threw me off was your description of it being able to handle tapers as well.

wayneis

I've been using the same jig that Bev is talking about and have had no trouble with the blanks sliding up or with the pressure changing the diameter of the hole. Second I have also drilled many blanks that were not anywhere close to being square. Either wider at the top or the bottom or just plain out of whack, again I've not had any problems. I square the ends up on my disk sander and the jig for that and then to the lathe. As long as both ends are square to the tube the blank will turn fine. I am only agreeing with what Bev said, I'm not trying to be argumentitive to anyone.

Wayne

Scottydont

I have all of these but in order of their value to me and why.

1) Drill Press (beats drilling by hand)

2) Turning tools. Don't assume you have to by expensive ones. Many have bought inexpensive ones from PSI and been very happy with them. You don't have to get Sorby's to have fun and get quality results.

3) A sharpening method. "Nice lathe + dull tools = frustration and sadness. Plan on reseaching sharpening methods. Slow speed grinders, specialized lathe tool systems like Tormek or Wolverine or the low cost option of the Scary Sharp method. You will find many opinions and options on the subject. Whatever way you choose sharp tools are an absolute priority.

2) Bandsaw and home made bandsaw sled (If find that I have very little correction needed to square up the blanks so I rarely use my disk sander but prefer using a pen mill.) I am also now cutting my own pen blanks. Throw out the original blade and replace it with a Timberwolf. That goes for any brand bandsaw you might concider.

3) I use a pen press that has been talked about here frequently that I got from Grizzly. (Makes pen assy a breeze.) Similar ones can be had at tool importers like Harbor Freight.

4) A jig to hold the blanks to be drilled at a perfect 90 degrees to the table. A modified wood screw clamp can do the trick.

5) Here's one you won't see often. (No pun intended.) I gave good eyesight but I love using a swingarm mounted lighted magnifier. One of the challenges for a newbie is getting the ends of your pens turned to the size of the mandrel bushings to assure a high quality fit and finish. The swing arm magnifier works wonders for that.

Those are some based on my experience of getting set up over the last year. Other additons have been extra mandrels and a set up for stabilizing blanks with a mason jar and a vacuum pump using poly.

jkirkb94

I have a jig similar to Bev's and it does a great job of helping to drill straight holes once it is set up right. The only real problem is drilling blanks that are about 3/4" square or bigger. The side rods of the jig won't permit putting the blank in at an angle. I just have to be very careful with larger blanks. Thanks Scott for mentioning the lighted magnifier. I have an extra one that I can use and plan to install it today. I have had it for a while and just haven't thought about installing it. Duh![:I] Kirk [8D]

Fred in NC

Scott: "I love using a swingarm mounted lighted magnifier."

I have several of them in the shop right now. I got them from HF for less than $10. ea.

jkirkb94

I installed my swingarm magnifier last pm and turned a crushed velvet pen. The light and the magnifier helped a lot to make sure I had no faults when wet sanding the pens! Should have had this all along [:I]
Thanks again for the mind jolt. Kirk [8D] Go OU!

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Scott: "I love using a swingarm mounted lighted magnifier."

what a fantastic idea..!!
Fred, you don't happen to know part number or identifier on that for HF would you..I have searched and can't find them..

Thanks,
JohnPayton

jkirkb94

John, The one that Fred recommends is exactly the one that I just installed. Recommend a 60watt Ultra Mini Spiral fluorescent lamp in it. Lots of light and no heat like a regular bulb. Got them at Home Depot. Love the lamp. Kirk [8D]

Fred in NC

Kirk:

A little flourescent is what I use in the magnifier lamp. Lowe's has a pack of 4 for less than $7.[:D] I found it near one of the registers. That is pretty cheap. I have these magnifier lamps all over the shop, they help a lot.

jkirkb94

Fred, I think I will take your advice and get a couple of more magnifiers. One for the scroll saw I recently set up and another for a future workbench that I am planning. Kirk [:)]

Fred in NC

More thoughts...

I had to tighten the screws to keep them from coming down on my work. I like them a little tight.

I raised one of the lamps by bolting a 1/2" pipe flange on the bench, and put a 10" riser tube in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom