Shop Pencil Kit... Which one...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Been thinking about making a couple of shop pencil kits for myself and a buddy and of course one for my little shop helper...
CSU's kit does not use a tube and the shape can be just about anyting you want...
From what I see the new PSI kit is tubed and in two pieces, so that limits the shapes you can play with...
Anyone have any opinions on these kits...
I am leaning to the CSU because of the shape freedom.. but I could be swayed if there are good reasons..[:p][:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

I've been thinking of doing a few for around the house and at work as well. I'm like you Griz, I'm leaning toward the CSU for the flexablity of shape. I've shown pictures to some of the guys at work and they like the CSU better. They said I should have more customization with that one. I think they are right. I like the idea of the colored lead from PSI. I guess the lead from PSI will fit CSU? Sorry I couldn't give more valuable input. [^]

Daniel

I made a couple of the CSU style and like them. a couple of hitches I've ran into. the lead adjustment button is also the sharpener. make sure you have enough lead exposed to re point it before you remove the button. second the lead is to soft. I woudl liek to find some harder leads for it. Just to ad another choice to the mix. I also made a couple of the power pencils from P.S.I. for my shop. the lead selection is easy to find at the University book store. I actually like them better.

wayneis

I've only done the craft supply kit and so I can only speak to it. You are right in that you have flexability, it to me makes it more fun. For a shop pen I wanted something with a little heft and so I used a piece of Thuya Burl and it turned out grea. I'm very happy with the kit. Some people may have some complaints but you can't please everyone.

Wayne

woodwish

I've made two of the CSU's for myself and really like them, one walnut and the other cocabola. Lead is a little soft but not too bad to my taste and I am happy with just black so that has not been a problem. Years ago I taught drafting before computers and fancy mechanical pencils, we learned to sharpen on sandpaper pads and that is what I still do so the little built-in sharpener has not been a problem. I like the heft they have and ability to sharpen really nicely, haven't looked at the PSI kits but you have me curious so I am off to look for their catalog.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />What a site! MSRP is $100.00 ea. Discounts available...

Look just like the PSI Kit...

http://www.pencity.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/Piper/SketcherMP.htm?E+scstore

Looked at site and pens. What am I missing that justifies the price? [?]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Looked at site and pens. What am I missing that justifies the price? [?]
The silver guilloche lower barrel would be costly to reproduce without CNC capability--and SOMEBODY has to pay for that machine! [8D]

arehrlich

I haven't tried either, but I think the CSUSA's pen is more to my liking. I really like the all wood barrel. Maybe because it doesn't remind me of the years at the drafting board. [:D]

Alan

Randy_

Originally posted by Daniel<br />...second the lead is to soft. I would like to find some harder leads for it...

For folks that live in larger towns, you can probably find a wide selection of leads(hardness and color) at either drafting/engineering supply companies or art supply stores. Most major office supply stores have the stuff, too. They may not stock the stuff but can order it for you!!

Rifleman1776

Just received the latest PSI catalog. They have listed and featured as "New" a workshop/sketch pencil. It says (11mm tubes). Apparently, that means that, unlike the CSUSA kit, this one does use tubes. Has anyone here had a chance to try this kit? Success? Failures? Problems? I'm real anxious to spend $7.95 for a kit plus wood plus my shop time for a pencil that does what I can get for 39 cents at Wal-Mart. [:p][:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I fai; to see how somethingadvertised as a 1/4" in diameter can lead to an accurate mark in the shop unless you are marking concrete for a drill hole you would use an impact drill on.

I usually mark everything with a scary shark knife(cross cut) or a 2mm penscill sharpened.
The 1/4" may be good to mark to waste side of the cut.
If they had put a ring on it at least it could have doubled as a plumb bob.

Rifleman1776

Hey! Eagle, please note: the 1/4" lead is sharpened to a point. [:p] Of course a pencil does not make an ultra fine line for close tolerance work. But a pencil in the shop is indis-pen-sible [;)] for lots of things.

PenWorks

Chuckie posted a 2 mm claw pencil just like the CS one only in 2mm lead. That is the one I am going to track down next and make. I did a mechanical 2mm , but I like the claw better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom