Shock Absorber pens squaring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

What are you using to square off the blanks. Is there a specific sleeve used over the barrel trimming shaft?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

OK..I use the lathe also. My question is what size shaft is used with the squaring barrel...or is a sleeve used over a shaft?

its_virgil

Sleeves can be made to fit any tube. No need to get separate shafts for each tube size. Just glue a 7mm tube into a piece of wood or other material and turn it down so it just slips inside the tube of the kit being made. Although there are many many kits several kits use the same size tubes and you will soon have enough of these sleeves to work with the kits that you make. This picture may help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_3069-1.JPG
    IMG_3069-1.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

WriteON

Sleeves can be made to fit any tube. No need to get separate shafts for each tube size. Just glue a 7mm tube into a piece of wood or other material and turn it down so it just slips inside the tube of the kit being made. Although there are many many kits several kits use the same size tubes and you will soon have enough of these sleeves to work with the kits that you make. This picture may help.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

That does help. You're quite creative. Thanks. Frank

Joe S.

By on the lathe I mean holding the rounded blank in a collet chuck and use a turning tool, no end mills or shafts at all! But the 7mm custom sleeves will work good too.

Top Bottom