Shipping suggestions/opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

amheck

Hi gang,

I'm about to venture into my first group of pen sales. I'm still trying to determine how much to charge, but that's a different subject.

Anyway, how do you ship your pens to customers? Are there some nice pen sized boxes that are cheap? Are any of the free USPS Priority boxes good?

Any tips/tricks, etc, would be appreciated. If everything goes as planned, I'll be shipping 15-20 pens in the next few weeks and just want to be sure I'm maximizing my profit and time during the shipping process.

Thanks!
Aaron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

If you anticipate regular sales, go to the USPS web site and order some of their #4 Priority boxes. Up to a pound this ships for $3.85. I use this size frequently and find it very useful. If your shipping weight is going to be two pounds or more, I suggest you check out their flat-rate boxes. For convenience, I have been using the click and print shipping labels. Do it all from my desk and the mail guy picks up the boxes the next day.

alamocdc

Aaron, one word of caution using USPS to ship finished pens. You can only insure them for a limited amount ($200 I think) so keep that in mind. If you want/need more insurance then UPS or one of the others is probably the best way to go... unless you break the order up in to multiple boxes that will insure a the proper rate.

amheck

I'm guessing these are going to be just a single pens in each box, and the $200 limit should cover my pen just fine (about 7-8 times over). :D
But that is good to know.

Is the #4 box the best way to go for a single pen?

Mikey

Also remember that with USPS, there is no automatic insurance like there is with UPS. UPS gives you $100 insurance included, then charges you extra for over $100. USPS charges insurance if you want to insure for $10. I guess it really depends on if you can back bill for all shipping costs.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I don't want to start a fuss here, but I have different information regarding USPS insurance than what has been suggested. The information presented can be found at http://www.usps.com/consumers/domestic.htm#insured

Insured Mail

Provides coverage against loss or damage up to $5,000 for Parcel Post, Bound Printed Matter, and Media Mail matter as well as merchandise mailed at Priority Mail or First-Class Mail rates. Items must not be insured for more than their value. Insured mail must be presented to a retail employee at a post office or to a rural carrier.

For an additional fee, insured mail may be combined with Delivery Confirmation, parcel airlift service (PAL), Signature Confirmation, or special handling. For items insured for more than $50, restricted delivery and return receipt service are also available. The amount of insurance coverage for loss will be the actual value, less depreciation. No claim payments are made for sentimental losses or for any expenses incurred as a result of the loss.

Insurance Fees Amount to be collected or
insurance desired Fee in addition to postage
$0.01 to $ 50.00
$1.30

50.01 to 100.00

100.01 to 200.00

200.01 to 300.00

300.01 to 400.00

400.01 to 500.00

500.01 to 600.00

600.01 to 700.00

700.01 to 800.00

800.01 to 900.00

900.01 to 1,000.00

1,000.01 to 5,000.00
$11.20 plus $1.00 for each $100 or fraction thereof over $1,000 in desired coverage

alamocdc

Thanks, Lou, no fuss at all. That's what I get for relying on 1) my memory and 2) old information. [:I] I haven't tried to insure anything over $200 w/them in several years now. I was told that was the limit at the time.

Rudy Vey

When I need them to get on time to a customer or to my engraver and back, I do not rely on the Postal service anymore - too many bad experiences (like it took a pen back from the engraver about three weeks to get to me - a pigeon would walked the distance of 140 miles in less that time - surely I did not get the pen on time to my customer for his daugthers graduation!). When I need my pens being in a timely manner at my customers I always use UPS - it costs more, but is more reliable than USPS. Also, when I do larger orders insurance costs are a fraction of that of the USPS - I always insure them to the amount my customer pays me for the pens. I am lucky to have an Office Depot with UPS just around the corner from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom