Shipping pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

Wasn't sure where to ask this...

I've got a couple of orders I need to ship overseas (consequence of working in London for almost 3 months this past fall). I'm kinda nervous about this because I've always hand-delivered pens before and therefore know what condition they're in.

In particular I'm wondering if something that goes in a plane could get exposed to extreme temperature changes that could result in a crack. Don't honestly know if everything in a cargo hold on a plane is pressurized and temperature controlled or not, but I do know when I'm flying to the UK it's usually about 80 degrees below zero celcius at 39000 feet.

Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks.

Mike,
Depending on whether your pen goes overseas in a passenger or all cargo plane.. I don't think the cargo planes are heated in the cargo compartments, but most of the passenger planes do have some residual heat in the cargo area... they ship animals in the front cargo bays. (or at least we did when I was with TWA).

I've shipped two or three pens to Australia via air - via usps actually, they arrived fine.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have shipped pens all around the world, just make sure that they are in a very strong box. I usually make a box out of 1/2" plywood for shipping, you may pay a little extra but it is worth it if the pen doesn't get damaged. The temp isssue is dependant on what the material is, you also have to remember about humidity levels, I had a beautiful camphor pen crack when I brought it out to Arizona.

Top Bottom