Shipping/Handling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fatstrat

Ello,
Im wondering what type of shipping containers you all use, i.e. padded envelope, something avalible at the post office, etc. Also, do you print your own labels? How? And, is there anything special i must do for shipping to canada?
Something else...i'm looking for some pen boxes like the one found here:
http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_44&products_id=59
but built better. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

I generally use USPS priority. So I just use what they will supply for free. The video sized box, as long as it is less than a pound, is $4.60 to ship. Even better, I ship through PayPal, so delivery confirmation is free. But, now I use my PayPal debit card for shipping off the USPS site and get 1% of my shipping costs back.

loglugger

http://www.usps.com/ is where I go to get shipping evvelopes and boxes for free, go to supplies, priority mail or flat rate, then go to click-n-ship to pay and print labels. Don't know about out the country but I think you can use the same things just cost more.
Bob

I type way to slow.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You can use the same Priority Mail boxes from the PO for both domestic and international shipping. When you print your international shipping label off the USPS web site, it will prompt you for the customs declaration form.

I do have some pen boxes left from the last group buy. Not exactly what you have posted but you can see them here -
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36664

IPD_Mrs

Beartooth has the best leatherette pen box that I have found. My customers will buy that box from me all day long with no problems or complaints. Woodpenpro has a decent wood box that is good for large size pens such as Imperial and Lotus. The wood box from AS with the foam insert is the best for standard size capped pens like the Baron, and Jr series pens.

Mike

altaciii

I know a guy who knows a guy that that knows another guy that uses the USPS boxes for other carriers by turning them inside out. It seems to work.. he says it works very well. As far as the beartooth box is concerned, I used to use the rosewood one and two pen boxes from PSI and still do on occasion when a client wants laser engraving on the box but now my client demand the box you listed in your post and I prefer it more than the others I've seen.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by altaciii

I know a guy who knows a guy that that knows another guy that uses the USPS boxes for other carriers by turning them inside out. It seems to work.. he says it works very well. As far as the beartooth box is concerned, I used to use the rosewood one and two pen boxes from PSI and still do on occasion when a client wants laser engraving on the box but now my client demand the box you listed in your post and I prefer it more than the others I've seen.

That turning the box inside out is illegal and is stealing. Practices like that cheat us all and is a factor in rising postal costs. I use USPS Priority for most of my shipping. I order the boxes direct and they are delivered to my house. The box I use the most is the #4, not flat rate but will go for FR minimum if light. A postal scale is vital for keeping costs down. I do click and ship, the boxes are picked up at the door, saving me a drive to town.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

I know a guy who knows a guy that that knows another guy that uses the USPS boxes for other carriers by turning them inside out. It seems to work.. he says it works very well....
IIRC the boxes are stamped inside "USPS Priority Mail" or similar markings to prevent you from doing this exact thing.

sbell111

Originally posted by Monty

I know a guy who knows a guy that that knows another guy that uses the USPS boxes for other carriers by turning them inside out. It seems to work.. he says it works very well....
IIRC the boxes are stamped inside "USPS Priority Mail" or similar markings to prevent you from doing this exact thing.
There was a time way years ago when they weren't marked in this manner, but now they are. I have heard of people wrapping priority mail boxes in craft paper and sending them on their way.

Frankly, I find priority mail to be cheap enough and fast enough to work fine for us to ship pen wherever they need to go. Like others have posted, we use the video tape-sized boxes.

IPD_Mrs

Those are the type of folks I would love to see turned in and fined! Part of the perk for using USPS is free boxes. People start using them for other carriers and the cost of USPS will go up along with the possibility them not providing the boxes at no charge. Not only is it stealing, but it is disgusting when a good thing gets exploited to the point it is no longer available.

Sorry for the rant but that just POs me. :(

Mike

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by gerryr

Not any different than people putting a Priority Mail box inside a Priority Mail envelope.[V]

Mike and GerryR, you are both right. Sadly, many here engage in that practice as does at least one supplier many fawn over. Not honest with little things, can't be trusted with big things.

sbell111

It's been a while since I read the requirements, but I'm thinking that the box within an envelope trick may not violate the letter of the USPS reg.

IPD_Mrs

Actually the USPS just changed the wording on the flat rate envelope. Someone posted it on here not too long ago. They can deny the flat rate if it is too thick. Most likey they won't as they have been allowing it so long and it costs them more to flaf the package and return it rather than letting it slide on through.

sbell111

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

Actually the USPS just changed the wording on the flat rate envelope. Someone posted it on here not too long ago. They can deny the flat rate if it is too thick. Most likey they won't as they have been allowing it so long and it costs them more to flaf the package and return it rather than letting it slide on through.
I was commenting on the inference that some were making that the box was being misused according to postal regs when it is placed inside the envelope.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Originally posted by gerryr

Not any different than people putting a Priority Mail box inside a Priority Mail envelope.[V]

Mike and GerryR, you are both right. Sadly, many here engage in that practice as does at least one supplier many fawn over. Not honest with little things, can't be trusted with big things.

Can someone show me on the US Postal service website anything that forbids this practice? I regularly go to 3 different PO's and have asked the postmaster at each one about this practice and all 3 have told me that they are not aware of any regulation that forbids this practice. I searched the postal regs and found nothing that specifically forbids the practice. I did find one regulation that said that you could not alter the envelope to be a box but the postmasters that I spoke to and showed them the box inside of the envelope said that is "still looks like an envelope to me" so perhaps I just live in an area where the postmasters are more apt to "overlook" little things. What difference does it make what box is used? What if I handcrafted one from cardboard?

There is one little known fact about Priority mail & Express mail boxes. Here is a statement directly from the postal service website:

"Using boxes that are ordered at The Postal Store for other uses

The terms of Agreement for the use of United States Postal Service shipping supplies is as follows: I understand that Express Mail service, Priority Mail service, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail International packaging is the property of the United States Postal Service and is provided solely for sending Express Mail, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail International. Misuse may be a violation of federal law."

I'm not sure if it ever would come to pass but if you follow this to the letter it means (at least in my mind) that if you receive a box of blanks from someone and then use the box they came in to store the blanks you are technically in violation of federal law. I called and spoke to a postal inspector about this a while back and he verified that it was in fact a violation of the law, however he did say that in his 32 years of service he has never heard of anyone being prosecuted for storing something in a Priority mail box as long as it had been used for it's intended purpose (IE. has a canceled postmark)

Rifleman1776

A box inside another package won't have a postmark. Five hundred words of talk cannot change the fact that stealing is stealing. Sadly, many in society today do not understand or care about honesty and believe excuse making takes care of everything. Because a crime is low priority doesn't make it acceptable to violate. If you don't agree with this, do what you will. I won't be your final judge.

sbell111

A box inside another package won't have a postmark. Five hundred words of talk cannot change the fact that stealing is stealing. Sadly, many in society today do not understand or care about honesty and believe excuse making takes care of everything. Because a crime is low priority doesn't make it acceptable to violate. If you don't agree with this, do what you will. I won't be your final judge.
Yet, you appear to be wanting to judge.

Unfortunately, the regs and the opinion of the aforementioned postmaster don't support your position.

M

Mudder

Call it what you wish Frank but before you run off at the mouth about a violation you must first prove that there is one. That you have not done. So I ask you directly Frank, Can you show me on the Unites States Postal Service website ANYTHING that says the practice is forbidden?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Mudder

Call it what you wish Frank but before you run off at the mouth about a violation you must first prove that there is one. That you have not done. So I ask you directly Frank, Can you show me on the Unites States Postal Service website ANYTHING that says the practice is forbidden?

Not worth the bother. You have your set of values, I have mine.
But, I know some people who work at the local P.O., I'll ask them when I get around to it.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Mudder

Not worth the bother. You have your set of values, I have mine.
But, I know some people who work at the local P.O., I'll ask them when I get around to it.

Sounds like an excuse to me.

You are right in one respect Frank, It's not worth it.

Paul in OKC

Apoint I see here is that some are using boxes provided for free for use in their system, ala USPS, and using them to box up something they have and not pay for any boxes, and ship them other ways. Am I correct? I can see the point. If I provide something for free in order to have customers use my service, I would feel taken advantage of if they took them just to save a buck and use them otherwise. (note: postage increases about the 12th of this month, just a thought!)

sbell111

Originally posted by Paul in OKC

Apoint I see here is that some are using boxes provided for free for use in their system, ala USPS, and using them to box up something they have and not pay for any boxes, and ship them other ways. Am I correct? I can see the point. If I provide something for free in order to have customers use my service, I would feel taken advantage of if they took them just to save a buck and use them otherwise. (note: postage increases about the 12th of this month, just a thought!)
I don't think that anyone is taking the position that using a priority mail box to ship an item using any method other than priority mail is wrong (and against postal regs). It is when someone takes the position that using a priority mail box to ship an item by priority mail (but not as the external packaging) amounts to stealing that I think is over the line. My read of the usage guidelines and the opinions of postmasters cited in this thread supports my position.

Top Bottom